National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyd, Im new here and I just built my first AR15!
I ran into a problem today after getting my BCG and charging handle in the mail. I installed them both and went to pull the charging handle back to test it out. The BCG is getting stuck on the hammer and not allowing me to fully retract the bolt carrier. The trigger I am using is a drop in Elftmann trigger and my bolt carrier is a WMD NiBX (FDE chrome coated) BCG. The elftmann triggers have a set screw to tighten up the group against the trigger pins. When I tighten the screws it causes the hammer to raise ever so slightly and the BCG ends up getting stuck on the hammer. I am wondering if it just needs to be broken in and is safe to shoot, or if I shoot the gun will the BCG get jammed to the point where I cant get it back out? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Well that's a problem i have never heard of. Just out of curiosity did your lower start as a 80% build and if so are you sure the trigger pin holes were drilled correctly? Do you have another AR to try the BCG in to see if you can eliminate a problem with the BCG? If you have another AR lower compare and measure the pin holes and see if they are in the same spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunatley I dont have another AR to test it with. I did notice the trigger pins are slightly loose, but I believe that is solely because I am using a Drop in style trigger so the trigger pins will be loose due to no tension. The tension Should come from the set screws on the trigger group, but if I tighten them then the Bolt just ends up getting stuck on the hammer. Also it is not an 80% I am using a spikes tactical stripped lower receiver

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Well I'm at a loss then. Spikes have a great rep so i doubt the trigger pin holes are off. I've only ever used one drop in trigger but have seen others and yes they were loose as well because you don't have the trigger springs on them. Mine came with a anti walk pin kit and i have seen set screws on another. Just thought if something. Are you sure it's catching on the hammer? Do you have a fwd assist and is that installed correctly? I think that can be put in backwards and if so it may do what you're saying. Pretty sure i read that somewhere once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it cant be the forward assist because as soon as i loosen up the set screws on the trigger the bolt goes back just fine, I also have anti walk pins but they dont hold the pins in firmly enough, they just prevent them from falling out basically. I think the hammer on the trigger may be too large. I did contact Eltmann and havent gotten a reply yet. Ill post an update if they reply.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Maybe this can help, skip to the 4:00 mark for the install. See if he does anything different. He's using standard pins, maybe the anti walk pins you're using are slightly smaller in diameter causing the trigger group to raise higher when the set screws are tightened? Also he is stressing the even tightening of the set screws, something else to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still no luck, I think youre right in that it could be the trigger pins. I also think I just got a bad one, the more i play with the trigger the more im realizing it wasnt made very well. The company replied with the owners phone number and I gave him a call. I will just say Elftmann is doing customer service right! he was very nice and understanding and said that if the trigger is not working out that he will make sure hell gets me one that does. He said theres a lifetime warranty and I could break it to pieces and send it back and theyd replace it. Excellent company I cant say enough good things about them, even if I got a bad trigger.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
It could also be something amiss with the bolt as well, that's why i mentioned trying it in another rifle if possible, Either way it's good to see the company has great customer service! Let us know how it works out when you get your new trigger, hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post with my first post here.

I was searching the interwebs today looking for this exact problem.

The gun that I installed the elftmann trigger into is a BCM - running perfect with the standard milspec trigger prior to installation of the Elftmann.
No other parts were changed - using same BCG, trigger pins, lower/upper, etc. etc. etc.

The Elftmann hammer doesn't seem to clear the BCG when it moves backwards and it wedges the bolt about 1/2 way open.

Any ideas?

·
Live Free
2,629 Posts
It would seem the trigger might be the culprit in both guns (OP and this latest). I would likely compare (measure) the height of both the Elftmann trigger and the mil spec when installed in the lower along with simply looking for visible variations between the two triggers in the cocked position. I would also be getting back to Elftmann and looking for similar issues on line. If the trigger causes malfunctions, and it seems it does, consider a different trigger. There is certainly no shortage of improved AR triggers available.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just to clearify, you did try the standard trigger with the BCG you got in the mail? Did it work correctly? Just trying to pin point if the problem is with the drop in trigger or bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to clearify, you did try the standard trigger with the BCG you got in the mail? Did it work correctly? Just trying to pin point if the problem is with the drop in trigger or bolt.
Zhills, the BCG was the not changed - only the trigger. The bolt is standard Bravo Company Manf. and was installed in the gun (working) prior to the trigger install.
I re-installed the milspec trigger and everything works as it should.

I contacted Elftmann and gave them the sequence of events and they've sent me an RMA to send the SE trigger to them to take a look.
I'm guessing the hammer is not correct based on the way it binds the bolt up when charging.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have found very few "drop-in" parts.

If I understand your issue correctly, the trigger group sets to high to play well with the BCG. So, you either have to move the hammer DOWN or the BCG UP.

One question for you. Can you "over-cock" the hammer of the new TG? If the hammer is setting high and the BCG is only going one-half up/across the face of the hammer, something is preventing this from happening. You should be able to press the "cocked" hammer down and past the sear. If you can, check to be sure the new trigger group will go back as far as the OEM unit.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts