National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Plan on getting a 12 guage pretty soon. This would be my first gun. I was thinking of getting a Remington 870 model. Also saw a Mossberg shotgun called security(guessing the model?). The mossberg is sythetic. Just wondering what you guys think is the better gun? Not really sure. I plan on going shooting for fun and might start small game hunting. God bless

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Both are very good shotguns. This question comes up a lot and the argument never has a clear winner. My advice: Buy them both. Maybe get a Mossberg 590 Persuader and a Remington 870 Police or 11-87 Police.

or Remington

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to check out the other guns you said. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
"twinkletoes"?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I agree with SBH. Buy them both, as they serve entirely different purposes. If finances are a controlling factor, you have to look at your purpose for owning the shotgun. For home defense, any of the "defender" type shotguns fit the job description. If it is for recreation and/or hunting purposes, go with the 870, or a Mossberg 500. But, if finances are not a controlling factor, buy them both, and while you're at it, I recommend purchasing an AR-15 and/or M-4 while you still can!!! :D :---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, I've had that username for years on other forums so decided to stick with it.

tx1911, Thanks for the advice. Finances are a factor right now :x lol. I've been checking them out and I've decided to go with the 870. I would also love a m4 but don't think thats going to happen anytime soon.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
We should all just win the lottery. Who's in? :i:

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
TX1911 said:
We should all just win the lottery. Who's in? :i:
I'll get my Ouija Board to help pick lucky numbers!!!

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Momma always said I could do anything I put my mind to..................

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
dude...just went to a gun show like a week and a halph ago. Picked up a Maverick 88 pump 12 gauge. It's mossbergs buget gun but it has the biggest military contract for shotguns. the thing is frikin invinsable. holds 7+1... 2 3/4 and 3" shells. thing has replaced the 870 for the army and i got this beast for $230!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you're interested in what the US Military considers to be "suitable" combat shotguns, here's a listing:

Shotguns
In active service

M1014 (Benelli M4 Super 90; semi-auto 12 gauge)
KAC Masterkey (Pump-action under barrel 12 gauge)
Mossberg 500 & 590 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Remington 870 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Winchester 1200 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Winchester 1300 (Pump-action 12 gauge)

Out of service (obsolete)

Ithaca M37 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Remington 7188 (Full-auto 12 gauge) (SEAL only)
Remington Model 10 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Remington Model 11 (Semi-automatic 12 gauge)
Remington Model 31 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Springfield Model 1881 Forager (20 gauge)
Stevens Model 520-30 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Stevens Model 620 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Winchester Model 1912 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Winchester Model 1897 (Pump-action 12 gauge)
Various Civil War Shotguns

Experimental

XM26 Lightweight Shotgun System (Accessory shotgun; pump-action 12 gauge) (active program)
Misc. CAWS entrants (canceled)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts