National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm 20 years old and currently in the process of joining the USMC. It has been my dream to be a Scout Sniper and I have been looking around for the best training and rifles to use. I have found a Company named Acidemi that trains active military and law enforcement but you are required to bring your own gun. I currently have a Howa .204 and love it (and selling it) but I need a rifle that will adapt to longer ranges. I will need something .308 cal or larger. What would be the best gun to buy if I will be putting 400+ rounds down range a week? Price range $400-$1200 (if at all possible)

Thanks
-Victo-

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Welcome to NGF.

1.Get a education first.

2.Get in shape,,,if your a fat boy falling out during pt or on humps you will go no where.

3.Skip Acidemi...unless you just have to go,,,your resume means virtually nothing to a point...the Marine Corps will train you their way.

4.Skip the 308,,,get an Ar platform...practice out to 500m with irons.

5.You cant join the Corp to be a sniper,,, you have to be seleceted for Sniper School...my best suggestion to you....be smart,,be postive,,,be a hard charging motherf**ker...and shoot really well at the rifle range...then you MIGHT have a chance at getting selected.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,756 Posts
Education is the key. Being good at mathematics, able to make good decisions, a willingness to learn, patience, able to understand orders and follow them, is what they are looking for. They don't put a long range rifle in the hands of idiots, hot heads, eager beavers, f-ups, or someone who needs to be tucked in at night. Being a scout sniper requires the right temperament, education, moral conviction and intelligence. It's not about being able to put a hole in a target. They can teach you how to do that. They need someone who knows when to pull the trigger and when not to.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Check out the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Also look at Remington's line of rifles, they've got some good stuff. Look for a 5R Milspec. They're pretty nice :D
If it's out of budget, look at their SPS line. The SPS AAC-SD is threaded for a suppressor/muzzle brake. If you're working targets you'll probably want a brake or suppressor.
Savage rifles are pretty damn accurate nowadays, price is still lower than most of the competition. A lot of competition shooters run a Savage, I'm not personally into them.

But for extended range work you're going to want something fast with a high BC, .243 Win, .26 Nosler, 7mm Mag, 7mm STW, .260 Rem, 6mm BR, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 Norma, .308 Win, .300 Win Mag, .338 Lapua, .375 CheyTac, .408 Cheytac, .416 Barret, .50 BMG. Not in any particular order, but you get the idea. Probably tons that I've missed, but they're all good long range calibers.

They make rifles as expensive as you want em', pick a winner lol.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'd say you'll learn much more about firing a rifle in Marine Boot Camp than you will in any civilian school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts