National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey friends, I recently picked up an 8mm Mauser. I was told it was Russian by the previous owner (who won it in a shooting competition). My brother and I are somewhat of (aspiring) German history buffs. We ruled out that it had any ties to Russia. It does, however, have French/Belgium writing on it. I will post pictures in a little bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
And after following Hippy's lead, I would suggest googling "FN Mauser" and seeing where it takes you. From the third pic it appears you have a Fabrique Nationale (FN) action on the thing, which doesn't in and of itself mean a lot, since lots and lots of rifles were built on those.

·
Banned
632 Posts
What made you rule out ties to Russia? They captured a ton of those things during the war and scrubbed the heck out of the markings.....

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
You have a sporterized FN (Fabrique Nationale de Herstal) manufactured military M98 Mauser chambered in 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser). I will go out on a limb and guess it was manufactured post-WWII.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What made you rule out ties to Russia? They captured a ton of those things during the war and scrubbed the heck out of the markings.....
That's the thing. All the markings are intact. All but one, and that's the model stamp right above the action...

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
The Soviet Union captured Nazi manufactured military K98k Mausers. The pictured rifle is a marked FN Mauser with no ties to Nazi Germany.

·
Banned
632 Posts
The Soviet Union captured Nazi manufactured military K98k Mausers. The pictured rifle is a marked FN Mauser with no ties to Nazi Germany.
Ok. I have a huge collection of Mosin Nagants but know next to nothing about Mausers...the one that I do have is a 98k RC. Learn something new every day here...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts