National Gun Forum banner

Need help choosing rifle

5K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Alan R McDaniel Jr 
#1 ·
I want the highest quality rifle money can buy. Let me explain. I was a rifle chambered in something that can reach as far as I want (within reason) and can knock down anything from a deer to a bear. I don’t want the second most accurate, I want the most accurate rifle on the market. I want a name (or names if it’s parts). I want to know what the best scope would be for this, how reliable it is, etc. I don’t care for weight, I want power, most accurate, and generally good looking. I don’t want to own five rifles, I want this to be a one time purchase. Remember: Highest quality rifle, best accuracy on the market, power to knock down any animal in North America, I want it to be able to reach out to or over 1000 yards effectively, and I would love to know the perfect scope and/or bipod to go with it. Even if I should handload or not. I know I’m asking a lot, but whether it be parts or a literal rifle, I want the highest quality. Please let me know.

(P.S. whether it’s a bolt action or an MSR I don’t really mind. I just want the best of the best in accuracy and power)

Thanks in advance! :)

#3 ·
I was a rifle chambered in something that can reach as far as I want (within reason)
Define within reason.

and can knock down anything from a deer to a bear.
Lot's of cartridges can hammer a deer/elk/bear at 1k....question is can you drive it.

I don’t want the second most accurate, I want the most accurate rifle on the market.
Good luck with that....your trying to pin something down that you probably don't want to dive off into......A quarter minute gun wont help a 1-2MOA shooter much.

I want to know what the best scope would be for this, how reliable it is,
Nightforce....Schmidt and Bender would be my first two choices.

I don’t care for weight, I want power, most accurate, and generally good looking. I don’t want to own five rifles, I want this to be a one time purchase. Remember: Highest quality rifle, best accuracy on the market, power to knock down any animal in North America, I want it to be able to reach out to or over 1000 yards effectively, and I would love to know the perfect scope and/or bipod to go with it. Even if I should handload or not. I know I’m asking a lot,
Good luck.....you will never achieve any of those things at that distance with factory ammo.

#4 · (Edited)
we have a thousand yard range in my County........those who are serious about it have very specialized tools and loads that are specific for that endeavor...... they will take a different rifle setup into the field for hunting......

if you are looking for a guarantee from a gun maker for out of the box accuracy......well, there is Weatherby and the Mark V "range certified" Weatherby | Range Certified

then you can pick your argument about caliber, loads, stock configuration, weight, and glass which would be numerous.............

Reactions: Popeye
#6 ·
maybe something like this? Combat vehicle Tank Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Military vehicle

#7 · (Edited)
]I just want the best of the best in accuracy and power"

If you're as good as this rifle is you can probably do what this guy did ...The McMillan TAC-50 Just don't send me the bill :lol: Btw McMillan recomends this scope-> nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56

Reactions: Coalcracker
#8 ·
Before we are too harsh on the OP, I looked at his other posts and based on them he is 15 years old, wanting to get his first hunting rifle. He knows little of ballistics, optics, or other factors that make a satisfactory hunting rifle. As too the price is no object in regard to a rifle and optics package, I doubt his parents would agree with that.

#10 ·
You write well for a 15 y/o. I'm still wondering where a 15 y/o gets a grand to plunk down on a gun and what type of parents allow this.

Last time he was hunting at 50yds and wanted a lever action with iron sights.

#11 ·
Guys my sibling who is 13 logged onto my computer and typed this. I’ve already changed me password and spoken with him. However, this has gotten me thinking. What would be a good quality rifle (out of the box). I would want it chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and before you say anything let me say this. As y’all know, I’m 15 XD. I can’t afford to drop money on a great rifle with an amazing scope QUITE just yet. For now I’ll be sticking with my lever action (Marlin). LOL it’s so cringey reading what he typed sorry for that guys. I’ve heard of the RPR and the BA Stealth. What else is there that’s possibly more in my price range (I’ll probably be older by then and have a lot more money to drop on a gun). Thanks lol.

#12 ·
Sorry, I just don't see a whole lot of people shooting 1000 yards plus around here. Maybe out west.
Most folks doing that surely use something different from 0-400 yards, than they do at over 500 yards.
Aiming points, MVs, holdovers, everything is all different. Most folks can't even see many animals, without
optics, at 1000 yards.

Yeah, you lost me at one-size-fits-all, and "no matter the cost, within reason".

Can you hit anything at 300 yards?
Can you produce a cloverleaf at 100 yards?

A totally unknown, anonymous person once said "you gotta crawl before you can walk" .

#13 ·
I've got just the gun for you! I have to warn you, it's very expensive and costly to operate. But it's guaranteed to be able to hit it's target at 1000 yards and beyond ....... up to twenty miles! The good news it comes with a free battleship attached! Just send a blank check to Mad Scientist in care of NGF!

#17 ·
My suggestion wasn't so bad and only cost a tiny fraction of Mad and ST's gun lolll

#18 ·
At least i can park mine in my driveway, lets see mad get that thing to his house!

Reactions: Kobs
#19 ·
If I was a moderator Ahamburg, i'd ban your @ for lack of a sense of humor which is essential in "these forums"

#21 ·
Thank you! ^^^^^^

#25 · (Edited)
I am easy to please, I found a Savage M99 in .308 and I liked it, so I bought it. That goes for a lot of the guns that I have bought, if I liked them, I bought them. I guess that isn't much help, but that is my modus operendi.
You will find that guns which have passed the test of time, and are still around, have something to offer. So that is a good method of narrowing things down.

PS: I have fired one of these, and man what a gun!
View attachment 70321

#29 ·
I still can't believe they talk about us on other forums not being helpful. Why, just this week we did a Danish kids homework for him!

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.