National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...I need help from some people that know more than me about weapons. I’m about to buy my first rifle, and I've got two that I can get, both for about the same price (150 and 100 respectively)

The choice is either a 1918 Lee Enfield SMLE Mk III, or a Yugoslavian M48A 8mm Mauser (yugo K98k)

The Lee Enfield is a SMLE Mk3 made in 1918. The bore is clean and all the landings are perfect. Only very minor pitting. Stock has personality, the weapon was used in combat. Still in excellent shape, just not polished. Bolt is incredibly smooth and fast. Still chambered for .303. There is nothing either me or the seller can find with the rifle. Has ladder style sights

The other is a Yugoslavian M48A 8mm Mauser. The bore is a little pitted and 'rusty'. The stock is in good condition, and has not much finish. Bolt is smooth, and no real flaws. the sight hood is missing however.

The Enfield is going for 150, and right now is looking good.
The Mauser is 100, because of the rusting and pitting, but the guy is going to give me about 150 rounds of AP surplus ammo too.

So right now it’s a pretty much tie. I don’t really care about collecting...I'm more of a target shooter. I don’t plan on hunting with them, or self defense.

What I’m worried about most is getting ammunition for either. I can’t order online (no credit cards)

SO any help would be appreciated greatly. I need to make the decision by sometime midweek.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
To start, I know absolutely nothing about the two rifles you mentioned. If you aren't purchasing one of them as a collector's item, but rather to shoot, to me, it would seem that you want to get whichever one will have the biggest supply of ammo. I did a quick look through on Cabela's website just to see if they had a .303 caliber. They did not. But they did have the 8mm Mauser. If reloading is an option, I do know that Cabelas has reloading components for the .303, but no completed rounds. In the end, it will come down to your preference. I know this was not exactly helpful, but I hate to see a post go unanswered...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. In a way, that did help alot, because thats what is really making my decision...the ammo. From a quality standpoint the enfield is better.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
J&G and Aim Surplus usually have .303 Brit. Everyone has 8mm, most of what I've seen lately is 60 - 70 yrs old and corrosive. Not a show-stopper, but a little extra work and maybe a 10% dud rate. Be careful, too, I was shooting some 70-yr-old 8mm in the Turk I used to have and there were a few hangfires.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. That is true. When you get old ammo theres always risk, but its still more cost effective...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another question about these two rifles.... Which would you trust (saftywise) more...the 1918 Enfield or the 1948 Mauser?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Just to re-iterate, I know absolutely nothing about the two rifles you mentioned. That being said, the Enfield just sounds like a better investment. If you do not have an comprehensive knowledge of the guts of eithr firearm, take it to a good gunsmith and get them to check it out. Check out the throat and the barrell to make sure there is no damage and/or swelling. Assuming that made any sense, if I were in your shoes, I would be all over the Enfield. It's history man!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha you sound just like me. ive been really looking at that sucker. It jsut looks good and feels good. i like it slightly more than the other, but im not going to kill myself cuz of a lil diffrence.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
IMHO - the Enfield will be a better investment. That being said - the .303 Brit milsurp ammo that is now coming into the US is primarily Pakistani, as are the rifles. We've been having problems getting either the .303 or the 8mm except for, as was said before, very old and corrosive stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts