National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a cc class and the instructor kept jokingly giving me crap about my glock 19..... I didn't find it to funny. I know a .40 or .45 might be a better option but I have a 9mm for several reasons. Just need feedback on personal thoughts on using this gun as personal protection and he also called using ANY type of hollow points is a joke !!!!!

·
Genius in Training
490 Posts
Your instructor sounds like a bit of a tool. Get some good expanding ammo and 9mm is a perfectly adequate cartridge. I trust mine no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already got my cert from him but I'm really considering taking another class from another instructor....... I feel he left out alot of info on the table. I know guns and shooting but the in depth teaching was very lacking on the laws as well as making correct decisions on when the weapon needs to be drawn

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The thing you have to think about when you have a 1911 is that it is kinda like a Glock except it’s made for men. Sorry but I couldn’t resist.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
9mm has worked fine for over 100 years. Are there better? Sure there is but the bigger you go you also usually lose capacity. It's best to chose what you shoot good with. Some people don't do as well with bigger calibers or smaller snappier guns with short a sight radius. Only you can determine what you shoot good with.

Reactions: Leadfinger

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting more training.:thumbsup: 9mm is a fine round. Heck folks have defended themselves with a 22 caliber.

Reactions: Wag

·
Barney
107 Posts
Marginalization is often time a person's way of compensating for their own lack of self esteem for whatever reason. It is his problem that he is projecting on you, not your problem. It is a military round. If it is good enough to wage war with, it is good enough to defend yourself with.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
the 9mm vs 45 debate will never completely die.....arguing old school vs new technology.....

the glock is a very successful platform with successful marketing. It took me two decades to finally quit calling it a plastic gun and call it a polymer gun.......i hated the idea of polymer therefore i hated glock......until Ruger came out with the LCR...then i changed my tune.

some calibers i actually do not want a HP......such as the 32 acp, 380 acp, 25 acp....i want to ensure penetration....and that is strictly my opinion.
the 9mm is not in that crowd.....i want a HP.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Your choice of caliber and handgun is good to go.

IMO you got the best out of the box self defense handgun made.

Try some 124gr or 147gr Federal HST's.....the147's will make it shoot softer.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
The Glock 19 is an excellent firearm and the 9mm is not to shabby either. To bad you had a Glock and a 9mm hater for an instructor. This is unbecoming of an instructor. For a self defense 9mm cartridge (when I carry 9mm) I use Speer 124gr +p.

Reactions: ArthAnsgar and Wag

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
The "re-think" and advancements in bullet design since the mid 1990's has raised the performance of all cartridges that have incorporated those bullets.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Your instructor sounds like a bit of a tool.................

........................hymmmmmmmmmmmmmm, more that a bit. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts