National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new to this forum and fairly new to firearms in general. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on my next gun purchase. I already have a 12 ga shotgun and .22 rifle. I am split between buying a pistol so that I no longer have to rent one when I go to the range or buying a deer rifle so that I will not have to borrow one from my neighbor. Hopefully, y'all have some good suggestions.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Get a .357 Mag, .41 Mag., or .44 Mag. revolver. Then you can play at the range, and go deer hunting. By the way, Welcome aboard. We do have fun on this forum.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I would ask this question, do you plan on target shooting more often than you go deer hunting?
If you answered target shooting get a 9 mm cheap on ammo more shooting fun OR a 1911 a bit more expensive as much fun but less shots for the same amount of $
If you answered deer hunting i want to know where you go :lol:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Buy both gets my vote!

If that is not an option, well then I am thinking everyone needs a handgun just to get you to your shotgun for home defense. Norths idea works great

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
understandable.............i absolutely hate to have to borrow a gun. The hunt or range time for me is more enjoyable if i am using my own gun. Weird perhaps, but that is just the way i am.

and you are having to do it twice...........a rental gun and a borrowed gun.

Deer season is about done and over with in my parts.......that leaves a lot of range time the rest of the year for a handgun. I would say get the handgun now as you will have many months ahead of you to pick up a deer rifle before next season. Put those rental fees to the side to purchase the rifle.

Reactions: jtguns and Popeye

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Gotta side with north also.....Starting out I often found guns that filled more than one role

·
Registered
256 Posts
It sounds like you spend more time at the range than hunting, in which case I would go for the revolver first. As someone already mentioned , if you spring for a .357mag or .44mag you can use it for double duty until you can afford a rifle. Hope this helps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts