National Gun Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
If i were you i would move out of the south-side of Chicago!

Reminds me of a meme i seen on FB once that said "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46"

Seriously though, most guns and calibers out there are effective, mostly it's the shooters who are ineffective.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am considering this as my daily rig:

1. (main) 45 HK
2. (back up) 357
3. (2nd back up) 44
4. (emergency) judge

Anyone else quadruple carry?
Kay, so let's just push the cart downhill here for a moment. Where are you going to put these 4
full size pistols? How will you be dressed?

OTOH, do this for two weeks, and let us know how it's working out for you.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Remember watching some vids on youtube showing that 44 had about up to 20% more power than 45 (depending on bullet used). So thats what got me to go for second carry 44. ta
Might want to look at case law in your state.

There won't be much information on self defense because the incidents are very rare, but actual outcomes can be informative.

Remember that your intent is to defend yourself. What you're considering could (maybe) be interpreted as being on the offense. You're preparing for a gun fight, right?

In the cases I've studied in Texas (again, there are very few), the straightforward, no-nonsense, commonsense approach to self defense is most successful.

Good guy, no record, licensed, background check, (being a veteran helps), no social media with batcrap crazy gun swaggering, not looking for a fight and shooting from a place of fear for yourself or others, quick to call for medical help for the victim ... those matter in Texas.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The Op starts this thread in 2014 asking about a .44 Mag as an EDC. Comes back to the thread in 2018 asking if anyone here quadruple carries 4 full sized handguns. If you look at the OP's other previous posts you'll see that one of the mods called him out as being located in South Hampton England. You'll also clearly see a pattern of trollish postings from the OP for example he started a thread asking how many of us members of NGF had killed people. I'm calling this one as i see it. The OP is a troll, just look at his previous postings.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
If you shoot the bad guy center mass one time with a 45 and he gets back up shoot him again. If he still gets back up run. Run as fast as you can. And pray. Pray hard because no matter what gun you use you can't kill what is undead.

More than power what you need to be concerned about is shot placement. My wife carries a 380 and with her shot placement I can promise you the bad guy is going to wish to God he had not tried anything with her and he is going to wish that for the rest of his long life. She aims low. Very low. About 5 or 6 inches below the belly button. She also hits what she aims at.

There are drawbacks to using a 44 mag for defense. I use a 40 for defense and I am pretty sure I can get three or four shots off between the time you pull the trigger and then bring the gun back down for the second shot. Now my experience with this round comes out of a S&W 29-2 that has an 8 3/8 inch barrel. I have never fired a 44 mag snubby revolver or auto loader. So that may just be the gun and my lack of experience with the round.

The other draw back is the idea of over penetration. Most defensive uses will be with in 10 feet or even less. This is just my opinion and I am sure some one will disagree with me but I think the gun is over powered at that range.

I do carry my 29-2 in certain circumstances. We like to hike and camp in very primitive areas. No one else around for miles is a good spot to build a shelter. I carry in a drop leg holster because Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh my. My better half carries a .357 of the same length for the same reasons when we go hiking for the weekend. The 44 or the 357 is easier to carry than the 30-30 or the 30-06.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good eye , Mike Weber. Some folks from Nevada, just can't be fooled.
(Las Vegas shows us ... "All that glitters ,is not Gold " ; or to that effect.)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Remember watching some vids on youtube showing that 44 had about up to 20% more power than 45 (depending on bullet used). So thats what got me to go for second carry 44. ta
How do you come by the immense reduction in 44 power ? Trolls and misrepresentations aside, your "research" sucks. If you had ever done any real shooting,
you would know how much more powerful 44 is over 45.

NOBODY carries 4 pistols. EVER. For anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
The Op starts this thread in 2014 asking about a .44 Mag as an EDC. Comes back to the thread in 2018 asking if anyone here quadruple carries 4 full sized handguns. If you look at the OP's other previous posts you'll see that one of the mods called him out as being located in South Hampton England. You'll also clearly see a pattern of trollish postings from the OP for example he started a thread asking how many of us members of NGF had killed people. I'm calling this one as i see it. The OP is a troll, just look at his previous postings.
You're 100% right. Thanks for the sharp eye.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Some people do in fact carry four pistols. They are Pirates!
Im glad we have the penetration results of the .45 compared to the .44 Mag through those propane tanks just in case the bad guy is charging me with a propane tank. Soft flesh.......it won’t matter if it’s a .380, 38 spl, 9mm or 454 Casul. It will penetrate and do a lot of damage or kill.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am considering this as my daily rig:

1. (main) 45 HK
2. (back up) 357
3. (2nd back up) 44
4. (emergency) judge
Anyone else quadruple carry?
That is a lot of firepower to carry, I must congratulate you on being able to do it. Where do you carry them, in a backpack?
{Yes, he has been banned, but I could not resist the opportunity.}

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some people do in fact carry four pistols. They are Pirates!
Im glad we have the penetration results of the .45 compared to the .44 Mag through those propane tanks just in case the bad guy is charging me with a propane tank. Soft flesh.......it won’t matter if it’s a .380, 38 spl, 9mm or 454 Casul. It will penetrate and do a lot of damage or kill.
Don't be obtuse. The penetration ballistics of the propane tanks is just a way to illustrate how much more powerful than 45ACP a 44 Magnum round can be. However, we do apologize for
not being able to test it on humans, for your personal edification. Suffice it to say anything which blows through 4 tanks, VS the other round denting the first tank is just a wee bit more
powerful than "20 percent", wouldn't you say?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Don't be obtuse. The penetration ballistics of the propane tanks is just a way to illustrate how much more powerful than 45ACP a 44 Magnum round can be. However, we do apologize for
not being able to test it on humans, for your personal edification. Suffice it to say anything which blows through 4 tanks, VS the other round denting the first tank is just a wee bit more
powerful than "20 percent", wouldn't you say?
Yes is definitely more powerful. Is it necessary? I’ve shot 44’s and there’s no quick follow up shot. The recoil prevents a good second shot unless you regrip. Then there’s the flash in a dark area. Don’t forget that when you shoot soft Tissue that the bullet is going to pass through and possibly hit a unintended target AKA innocent bystander. Have it your way. I’m sure these are none of the reasons why NO police force in the world Carries the 44 Mag.

·
Aim true !
9,453 Posts
I know someone who carries 4 guns. He's a big wuss too. He's 6 foot 300 plus pounds. Intimidating looking. But he thinks his guns will do his fighting. I just laugh at him. And he can't take any criticism. He thinks he has to have better or more than the next guy has too. He was asking my son how many guns i have now. My son said he's not sure lol.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
So, an attacker is going to emerge from a group of "innocent bystanders", to confront you ?
Take a home invasion: Someone pushes through the door and you're firing. There could be "innocent bystanders" next door or out in the yard or in a bedroom ...

Mass shootings, by definition, have high attendance records. Robberies at stores sometimes occur when the store is open.

Car jackings often happen on busy streets, gas stations, parking lots ...

We are responsible for every bullet we fire, from the time it leaves the barrel to the time it stops moving, right?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts