National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Just carry one gun, for crying out loud. Your .45 ACP H&K is not going to be "ineffective." There's are very few ineffective guns - just lots of ineffective shooters. Fast, multiple hits delivered to center mass in any caliber will be effective. My "car gun" is a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog, but at 23 ounces empty and with a ridiculously long 3 inch barrel, it's way too big and heavy to consider carrying concealed, so it sits between the front seats in my center armrest.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
with those supersonics loaded in the H&K you probably will never need to have those hallow point 44s step in.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Hey, if you don't mind the weight carry what you want. The .45 will do anything the .44 will, but if it makes you happy and more confident - go for it.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can't hit something and stop it with the .45, the .44 isn't going to make any difference.
Remember watching some vids on youtube showing that 44 had about up to 20% more power than 45 (depending on bullet used). So thats what got me to go for second carry 44. ta

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Remember watching some vids on youtube showing that 44 had about up to 20% more power than 45 (depending on bullet used). So thats what got me to go for second carry 44. ta
power and paper ballistics aside, sometimes "less is more" when excessive penetration, recoil, control, weight, etc, etc is factored in,

despite energy and power figures, i actually prefer the 44 special for defense instead of the magnum as the special plays to my strengths while the magnum plays to my weakness in shooting 44 revolvers.

for hunting, that is a different set of priorities and capabilities and the magnum rules for me.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I can speak to the .44 Magnum, but not the .44 special.

Shooting at LP tanks, to test penetration, the 45ACP regularly

made a dent in the front of a LP tank. HP or FMJ didn't matter.

The .44 Magnum penetrated both sides of 2 LP tanks, lined up

4 deep, and either penetrated the third tank, or made a large

dent.

The bullet weights, 230 grain, VS 240 grain, are close to the same.

But the .44 Magnum uses 4X to 5X as much powder. And the

penetration and power is significantly higher than 20%

But the real EDC headaches with .44 Mag are pistol weight(1 to 2 pounds more),

over-penetration, and recoil, especially in the revolver with a snub barrel.

I have to agree that the .45 will more than get it done, and while I have carried

a .44 in the past, it was too heavy to consider for a regular EDC.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I am considering this as my daily rig:

1. (main) 45 HK
2. (back up) 357
3. (2nd back up) 44
4. (emergency) judge

Anyone else quadruple carry?
If you need that much firepower on a daily basis you might want to consider not going where you are going.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

For civilians with conceal, self defense is going to be at close quarters, and draw time will be medium (we have to wait for our turn) and the most important elements are shot placement and followup shots if needed.

Obviously, we need something we can hide and we can get to pretty quickly.

We need a decent trigger. I hate those guns with long triggers and 12 pound pulls.

We need something that we can quickly line up and put the first shot where we want it.

Importantly, we gotta have something that has minimum recoil (for our particular grip) so we can get back on target for the next shot.

Caliber is going to be the last thing we need to worry about, within reason.

I put an elderly lady in a Ruger SR22. She can pull and get 3 shots dead ahead at 3 yards.

I carry a BG380, Kahr CM9, Glock 42, S&W SD9VE, depending.

The BG380 carries well with T-shirt and cargos. It'll do and I've trained, but it's got a terrible trigger and the grip is way too small. Also, the air weight recoils off target and I have to bring it back for the next shot.

The Kahr CM9 is my favourite. The trigger is sweet and I can hit a bull in the butt with it. It's a little heavy, so it's jeans, T-shirt, with a throw-over open shirt. Recoil is very manageable and rapid fire is reasonable.

The Glock 42 (380) is a very nice carry. It's light, not too long, soft trigger, minimum recoil, and I can shoot 3 shots in close placement with ease. I carry it when I clean up a little like going to a wedding, funeral, meeting ... because it doesn't make my dress slacks sag.

The SD9 is for open carry. 16-round mag. Heavy as a rock and kicks because of long barrel, but recoil is straight back. It's a very nice weapon but I can't conceal it well enough for that.

NOTE:

When things go sideways, they go quickly.

When someone points a gun at me, I don't ever place my hand on my chin and take time to think about stuff like, "Oh, a .22. I can handle that. Wow! that's a .40. Nice gun."

No.

I'm thinking, "Yikes! I'm about to get hurt."

That's the most important characteristic of a weapon.

Also, for weapons of caliber "cannon," that can shoot through an engine block, getting that puppy ready for a followup shot is gonna be time-consuming and we're liable for the little girl we didn't see behind our target.

OK, I'm ready for the pot shots (see what I did there), and your thoughts.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,867 Posts
I am considering this as my daily rig:

1. (main) 45 HK
2. (back up) 357
3. (2nd back up) 44
4. (emergency) judge

Anyone else quadruple carry?

John Wick?

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
John Wicks guns also hold yuge amounts of ammo. But he's lucky, one shot kills a bad guy. The bad guy on the other hand, shoots a 100 rounds full auto, and never hits Wick. Just amazing.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Guy let me shoot a .44 magnum at the indoor range.

That puppy was a flamethrower!

I'm a 380/9mm shooter and the recoil from that beast set the gun off the target about a foot.

It was a very nice revolver but it was heavy and it would be easier concealing a VW bus.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts