National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new toy.
In the past I have carried both 9mm and .45 ACP.
Currently with a 9mm but I think I am ready to go back to the .45 round, now sure just why.
I don't like the 1911 design, just never could get used to it from my Army days.
I want a good pistol with an external safety. Yes I am old fashioned.
I am looking currently at the H&K 45 and it looks pretty good to me.
But what other .45 ACPs should I consider.
Money is not a problem

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I looked at the FNX-45. Don't know that I need the 15 rounds or the weight that goes with it.
The prices is nice for all you get with it.

·
Aim true !
9,795 Posts
Although not a 45. The walther pk380 im impressed with. I have several 380s and its my favorite. Maybe something from walther might be something to consider. Does your LGS have a nice variety to handle? It can be tough picking from a web site. I looked up the K&K looks pretty nice too.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
A concealed carry pistol chambered in .45 ACP with an external safety but not a 1911 style.

An external safety but not a 1911 style kinda limits your choices. Most smaller .45 ACP pistols are either 1911 style or striker fired (no external safety). Sig-Sauer non-striker fired pistols have a decocker but not an external safety.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,649 Posts
One question, how good of a shooter are you???

If you consistently hit the bullseye at distance, then moving to an 7-8 shot 45ACP would be a prudent move.

However, if you can't hit the side of a barn, while you're in the barn, you should stick with your 9mm and the extra rounds it provides.

I'll second the FNX-45. If you don't want the extra weight of 15 rounds, load 7-8 rounds in the magazine and go from there. Keep in mind one 15 round magazine is like a second 7-8 round magazine without the reloading ....... in case you normally carry two or more magazines.

·
53,782 Posts
I'll second the FNX-45. If you don't want the extra weight of 15 rounds, load 7-8 rounds in the magazine and go from there. Keep in mind one 15 round magazine is like a second 7-8 round magazine without the reloading ....... in case you normally carry two or more magazines.
Or get a California legal 10 round magazine.

·
53,782 Posts
With the emphasis on small, the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield comes in .45 ACP and can be had with an external safery.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,649 Posts
^^^^^ Excellent point.

·
53,782 Posts
Kahr Arms little .45 ACP pistols do not have external safeties but are DAO.

·
53,782 Posts
Personally, I believe I'd go with a SIG-Sauer P.227 Nitron (with a decocker). Its DA/SA.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
What about a revolver? There are several in the .45 ACP or even 357. Even though they don’t have a safety, they are very safe to carry and pack a punch.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am finding the old manual safety is hard to find nowadays.
My son bought one of the pistols with the trigger safety but I just don't care for them.
Maybe I will just stick with my old SR9C

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I hit one of some 12 local gun stores we have locally in our small community. I don't know how we support so many but we do have them and Ruger makes handguns right here in town too.
I picked up the FNX45, it's awfully big.
Then I looked at the HK45 and I was impressed. About the same size as the SR9C but holds only 10 in the mag of course in .45 acp.
I was about to make a decision and the sales girl told me I might want to look at the Ruger SR1911 TALO short 4.25" barrel they had in stock. Yep it's a 1911 and I have never owned one but this was a very well built pistol and it comes with a lifetime warranty too. I can just drive some 4 miles to the factory and drop it off if I have a problem.
I watched some videos online of the commander lightweight shooting and it looks good.
I will sleep on it tonight and make a decision in the morning. Here in AZ there is no waiting period for a gun so in the morning I will buy one of them.
The Ruger is more $ but that does not matter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts