National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m new and a novice to laws, etc so be easy on me. Have a question, I was recently given a smith and Wesson handgun by my father in law. I do not know if it was registered to him or where he bought it and all of that. Question is, would I be legal in owning and using that handgun? Do I need to register it to my name? I’m currently waiting on my CCP to be ready to be picked up so I don’t have it yet, but would like to take it to the range or somewhere to shoot and not sure what would happen (if anything) if I were to get stopped in the car or something by the police. Thanks for any help.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Call your'e local FFL. In Pa a family given gun does not need to be transfered. Not sure if that is across the board or not in all states.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would go on your states website for gun laws.
Keep in mind that some local municipalities also have their own laws.
I don't trust my freedom or a clean criminal record to guys on the internet from all over the country.
Contact the people who will arrest you if you screw up. Best advice I can give you.
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy shooting.
What type of Smith and Wesson did you get gifted?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,291 Posts
You have to be over 21 to receive a handgun and you need either a Pistol Purchase Permit or a Concealed Handgun Permit in order to legally accept a handgun. There is no gun registration in North Carolina.

If you want to take it to the range, either put the gun and ammo in the trunk of the vehicle, or in the very back of an SUV. You can legally open carry a handgun without a permit in North Carolina. So you can also open carry the pistol to the range by laying it in clear view on the passenger seat.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 4 of 4 Posts