National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that legislation has been attempted in Congress to give us one law, to allow concealed carry in all states. Did this die in committee? Anyone have any information regarding the progress of this bill?

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I dunno about this one. I live in a must issue state right now. Back in the day I got a CCW in NYC, and I needed political pull to get it. I had to buy tables at political rubber chicken dinners for eight hundred bucks - a lot back then. The biggest problem was giving those tickets away to political hacks who actually needed that dinner! A couple of names you all might recognize sat at my tables, but I am too much of a gentleman to name them - and too ashamed to admit it. (OK, one's name rhymed with Plucky Tumor!)

I finally dumped the permit, bought at huge expense, when I got a desk appearance ticket for the crime of being traffic stopped and NOT having my carry piece. It seems I had paid the wrong price for the permit. If actual lessons instead of political payoffs had been the price, I would have known that I could ONLY carry the piece identified on the permit! Stupid me.

My point is, if states I don't live in have no carry rights in recompense for being allowed to live in a must carry state with a strong Castle Doctrine, I like it. I am afraid that a federal law would be less kind to residents of my state. Not to mention it being completely unconstitutional to legislate such things from D.C..

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
It was voted down, if you're talking of the recent effort that allows a CCW holder in one state to carry in all states that have conceal carry laws.

If you're taling of the one the has licensing at the federal level, I do not think that ever made it to the floor for a vote.

·
Concerned Patriot
398 Posts
I am very much against it, the choice belongs to the states. If this this ever passes, it will allow the Feds to have more and more control on our firearms. It would be great to be able to carry in every state but giving the fed control on where we can carry is a very bad idea. Like others have said we need CA, and other states to prove our point about their so called gun control. Pressure your state to accept other states CHL's and we must do what we can to keep it out of the FED's hands.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
i dont understand the double standard.... we all say we support the 2nd amendment which IS our concealed carry permit and then we say it is the individual states right to say who carries where.

maybe its time to make up our minds what we want.

Don

·
Concerned Patriot
398 Posts
i dont understand the double standard.... we all say we support the 2nd amendment which IS our concealed carry permit and then we say it is the individual states right to say who carries where.

maybe its time to make up our minds what we want.

Don
If you trust obama and his elitist friends from not misusing this power over your rights be my guest. I personal do not feel ok giving the feds more control over our rights as necessary. Mainly one of the most anti-gun administrations in history to decide were i can carry seems very stupid. I rather leave it up to the states to decide and where we truly have control over the powers at be, verses the feds who refuse to listen to the American public. One month we could be allowed to carry in every state and then they will find more ways to amend it to hinder on our rights,

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
If you trust obama and his elitist friends from not misusing this power over your rights be my guest. I personal do not feel ok giving the feds more control over our rights as necessary. Mainly one of the most anti-gun administrations in history to decide were i can carry seems very stupid. I rather leave it up to the states to decide and where we truly have control over the powers at be, verses the feds who refuse to listen to the American public. One month we could be allowed to carry in every state and then they will find more ways to amend it to hinder on our rights,

You totally miss my point. Are you that naive that you really believe a right given to you at the state level cant be taken away by the feds? How do you figure you ""truely have control over the powers at be"? When the average turnout at a state level election is less than 30% on a good day, you really think you control anything?

The point I was making is this.... if the 2nd amendment is our right to carry then why do we support any state telling us where we can carry and where we cant.

Apparently you have carry where you live. Well, then it appears if you want states to individually control carry you dont give a damn about someone who is in a state that doesnt allow carry. You have your permit so what if that guy doesnt....

The whole point is everyone of us has the right to defend ourselves. It is not something that can be "given" to us or taken away. That should be the focus of all of us. To accept control over what is already ours by any state because they happen to "allow" some to exercise a God given right is wrong.

At the very least, if there was a national carry permit, it would take a lot more effort to take it away from all of us at one time then to cut us up in little pieces by making it a states problem and setting one against another...

Don

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats is so funny. I put up this thread in 2007!:biggrin5::biggrin5:

Lots of water over the dam since then!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thats is so funny. I put up this thread in 2007!:biggrin5::biggrin5:

Lots of water over the dam since then!
:yikes1::biggrin5:

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
You have a right granted to you in these words: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I don't know why they put the weasel words in there, but they did. Since that happened, there has been a LOT of debate about exactly what those words mean. I am rabid about my rights, but even I can see where the other side is coming from. There is nothing about "self defense" in this right.

So it is understood that the feds have the right to restrict these rights. In D.C., National parks, and other installations. It is the bedrock "last ditch" of what the states are allowed to do. But each state has its own constitution. And that's a GOOD thing. Have you ever read your state's constitution? Some give you a specific right to defend yourself with firearms. Some don't. Some states have voters who elect representatives who infringe these rights, and they still get reelected. That's up to them. But is not the federal government's problem. Gun grabbers in federal office must be stopped, and the best way to make sure they are stopped is to live in a state that will stop them. It's a free country. We can move to whichever state we wish. We all have to balance the issues, and make our own choices. I lived in California for almost ten years. I left. You wanna live there? It's a free country. You like New Jersey? New York? Enjoy! Iowa and Maryland have no second amendment either. Go live there if you want. I like states with strong constitutional gun rights, states like Montana, Vermont, Texas, Florida, and Alaska for their strong second amendment
and self defense protections, but I live somewhere else. That is my choice. We all make 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts