National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a number of posts I've mentioned that the 1911 45's are not in the top 3 of my favorite handguns. Maybe not even in the top 5 and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they're 45 caliber and nothing to do with any recoil. The recoil is minimal and actually timid compared to my Glock 40 and most certainly to my S&W model 342PD AirLite. Even with standard 38 loads I can't or won't fire more than 20 or 25 rounds because my trigger finger gets so eaten up getting smashed by the trigger guard it's actually bled. The fact that it uses an aluminum frame and a titanium cylinder takes the total weight down below 12 ounces. And when a 38 load comes flying out of a 12 ounce anything it's not going to be pleasant. Making it worse yet, the grip is very small, bordering on tiny to me. But you can carry it in a pair of shorts, go shirtless and no one would ever know it's in your shorts pocket. It can't snag because it's shrouded and there is nothing to get snagged. So painful as it is to shoot, if that happens to be the weapon I'm carrying if I'm ever genuinely threatened I'll take those 5 whacks on my finger. S&W discontinued them a number of years ago and I understand that a number of masochists are actually willing to pay outrageous prices for them so I have to think on that.

Now the question. What weapon that you own is the most uncomfortable to fire?

·
Registered
635 Posts
My S&W Airweight with 158gr +p semi-wadcutter hp's. Pretty rough to shoot.

I think there is a doctor that can help you overcome your fear of 1911 pistols! :yikes1:

ETA: By far the most painful handgun I ever fired that I immediately stopped, was a Taurus Titanium snubby, ported, .357 magnum with 125gr +p rounds. It would blind you and hurt your hand like being beat with a two x four. This is the little terror:

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,865 Posts
This one. I usually shoot only about 12 rounds of the .357's before switching to .38 specials at the range. She does kick, but I expected that. It is a good nightstand weapon.

Attachments

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,718 Posts
When it comes to recoil, pistol weight is your friend. The heavier pistols have less felt recoil.

The most uncomfortable weapon to fire I have is a H&R Model 48 12-gauge top break shotgun. Kicks like a mad mule.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Taurus 454 casull, Traded for my S&W 44mag.

A beast.

Edit: I will add that my XDs 45 acp which is my EDC most of the time anymore. When I have the short mag in it and my +P Hollow points, more than 50 rounds will leave your palm hurtin most of the evening.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colt and SW 2.jpg LOL, For my friend Mike. I don't think a doctor would help because they're not his favorite either. He's a totally dedicated "Glockster" and at least I'm not one of those. Grins, I spread the love around. But I do have a special, deep affection for these two above..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Probably would have to be one of my H&R Shotguns, but as far as pistols go, I would have to go with my Polish P-83. It is only chambered in 9mm Makarov (9x18mm), but it is a blowback, and the Makarov round is enough to make it on the verge of uncomfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had a Glock 30 I think it was. It was a 357 sig. I got rid if it pretty quick because, to me, it was pretty brutal.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I've never owned any handgun unbearable. I even owned a Redhawk. I would say my most uncomfortable is the Polish P-64/9x18 Mak. The barrel is locked to the frame. Don't enjoy shooting it more than about 25 rounds at a time. But not bad.

A shotgun that doesn't fit someone is bad. Lots of bruised cheek bones.
Those small light revolvers are bad. I know darn well the Ruger LCR is bad. I still would like to get one. Light easy to carry. Reminds me of my Spyderco pocket knife.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought a Smith and Wesson 329PD in .44 Mag on a whim. It's a freaking monster, and not fun to shoot beyond the wow factor it gets from others on the range. It's not that it isn't accurate, it just isn't fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I think if you try 148 grain target wadcutters in your 342PD you'll be pleasantly surprised. My Wife has a 337 Target Kit Gun, that she just had to have. Then she tried it with a few standard .38 special loads and put it away. I bought her a load of target wadcutters, and she's been happy with it ever since. At indoor ranges the target wadcutters are quite capable of getting the job done.

I have a .375 H&H that I bought off a buddy 30 years ago. Beautiful rifle, but not something you want to spend a day at the range with. I don't have a revolver larger than a .44 magnum. My 4" S&W is easy enough to handle, but prolonged shooting can get tiresome.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Worst recoil of any gun I have owned in order of intensity:
( 1 ) H & R single shot 10 ga. shotgun...( horrible combination ).
( 2 ) Rem 870 Turkey Special 12 ga. shooting Remington 3 1/2" Nitro Mag Goose loads...( much worse than a .375 H & H Mag. )
( 3 ) Rem 870 Pistol Grip Riot 12 ga. shooting Remington 3" Nitro Mag 00 Buck Shot...( this gun was just plain stupid ).
( 4 ) Ruger Bisley 45 Colt shooting Buffalo Bore 300 gr. hunting loads...( must wear a shooting glove )
( 5 ) S & W 642-2 .357 Mag. shooting full capacity .357 Mag. loads...( worthless flame thrower, gun was perfect with regular .38 ammo ).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not a huge fan of 12 GA slugs...Will switch to 20GA for this season

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,324 Posts
i've shot 3" winchester magnum rifled slugs with some kind of tacticool shotgun one of my buddy had, never again. I was holding the pump like someone was going to rip it out of my hands and it still flew off

Reactions: PrairieHunt

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I once had a .40 cal derringer. It didn't last long as the recol was so bad you had no idea where the bullet was going.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts