National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Yugo SKS 59/66. I fired it for the first time yesterday, and it stove-piped nine out of ten shots. Today, all ten. Last night, I disassembled it and checked the gas tube, gas piston, operating rod and spring, and everything check out ok. I cleaned it as well. I even went to the extent to order a new gas piston, operating rod and spring, just in case they might be worn out. Whenever it fires, the spent casing doesnt get out fast enough before the bolt moves to put another round in. I was looking at the spring mechanism for the bolt, and it has a sticky substance on it, like a real thick lubricant, but I don't think it might be cosmoline because it has no color. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with it and how to fix it, or am I just dead in the water with a bum gun?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Take a bore light and check the chamber to be sure there is not a build of up of lead that may need to be reamed out with a good stiff brush. That situation can cause the bullets to drag when extracting.

Second look closely at the extractor to see if it is bent or chipped, clean it to remove any build up of crud or material behind it. My next trick would be to do what you did, look at the recoil spring mechanism and replace it.

Clean and lube with a lite lube, check to make sure bolt is not hanging up.

Other than that you will have to wait for the experts.

Reactions: Rokusek
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks! I cleaned every inch of the gun, and even used Q-tips for the nooks and crannies. I also used WD-40 and a wire brush for the recoil spring mechanism, and today I popped off a whole box of shells without a single problem. I really appreciate your advise. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts