National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set out on Thursday, hit six places in the last 3 days. Spent right at $1,000. I am awaiting a call from a small shop about several hundred 45 Colt brass he needs to dig out, then I’m done until primers surface. This is the booty I was able to collect...

300x 44 mag brass (new repackaged)
100x 44 mag lead bullets
50x 30-30 brass
500x Hi-tek coated 45 Colt bullets
200x 243 bullets
1lb H1000 powder
1lb 2700 powder
8lbs Bullseye powder
1 can of case lube
160rds steel case ammo 7.62x39
60rds of 243 Win ammo
500x 185gr 45 ACP CPRN bullets
1000x 100gr .380 CPRN bullets
600x 240gr .44 magnum CPFN bullets

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,903 Posts
Well done!

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had all my 44 mag loaded for the Henry. Now I have a Super Blackhawk coming, I need loads for it. I had just walked into Cabelas when the auction ended and got the notice it was mine... they had bullets, lots of 44 bullets. I hope that’s a sign it’s meant to be...

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Looks like you scored some loot!

I have noticed brass is getting scarce now. Last night i went looking for some 7.62x39 brass and couldn't find any anywhere and some of the listed prices were insane. One place had a price of $1 per case for once fired! I have 75 primed cased i got really cheap several years ago( $6 or $8) plus another 75 or so i have found over the years at my range. Seen some crazy prices for .223 brass too along with most other popular calibers. I should dig through my brass bucket and pick out all the .223 that i have been tossing in there since i got tired of prepping it. Also have a bunch of .40's in there too.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing is, before the Rona crap, you could buy 1,000 bulk 223 range brass for like $60. Hind sight, I should have grabbed some when it was cheap.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Awesome finds,. The Missouri bullet Co BHN 12 are what i shoot in my 45 lc. They shoot good and no leading. The 18 lead up. You made a good choice. (y)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
There goes the valentines gift for your wife! I’ll bet you just hand drew a greeting card with an IOU for a new dish towel. Lol.good shopping trip though.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There goes the valentines gift for your wife! I’ll bet you just hand drew a greeting card with an IOU for a new dish towel. Lol.good shopping trip though.
😂 I’m drawing double paychecks for the next 3 months.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Handgun brass is one thing I have no shortage of. Got over 7k 9mm Luger on hand and would have more if I didn't occasionally dump the headstamps I don't load in my scrap bin. Last time I went to the scrap yard, price for brass ammunition cases was $1.75 a pound.

Never bought ANY pistol brass for reloading and haven't bought that much rifle brass for reloading either-even the oddball military cartridges. I saved every piece of brass that I've shot almost from day one. I also pick up cases at the range I'm a member of. If it's lying on the ground, it's fair game to any member who is a reloader.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
mighty fine scrounging......

for better or worse.......i sort of went the other direction. i have over time reduced my calibers and began consolidating or streamlining before this perfect storm of covid/riots/biden.

in theory to save money with fewer calibers to buy for and more funds to supply ammo and components for select calibers for favored guns......but in these times.....with the price hikes and limited resources.....that alone is difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am buying what’s available but not paying stupid prices. I’m spending a lot but not over, or much over pre-Rona prices. Primers are the one thing that’s gone up that I can’t do anything about. I’m paying $70-$80/1,000. I won’t go stupid on them like some places are selling them.

The .223 bullets were $11.99/100. The Berry’s I bought a while back were $55/500, so the Hornady were only $5 per 500 more. The .308 above were like $23 if I remember correctly. That seems normal, or there about.

The Bullseye, $126/8lbs. .44 mag brass, $25-$26/100. Seems like that’s maybe in the neighborhood of normal.

Loaded ammunition, that’s gone up a little, but I’m only buying rifle and I’ve got a limit. 308 I bought yesterday was $19.99 and $21.99 for a box of 20. I bought my limit of 2 each. I think 2 years ago it was about $.80/rd m, now it’s $1.00-$1.10. I need the brass so I’ll bite at that. I’ve gotten some as low as $13.99 but I haven’t seen it in that store for a couple months.

Rifle powders (any powder really), $21-$25/lb, that’s my personal limit. Won’t pay more.

Berry’s bullets aren’t terrible. I was paying $88/1000 .380 bullets when I started reloading. I paid $100 for these.

I guess what I’m saying is, keeping my calibers allows me to more easily say no to gouging and buy what’s reasonable. What I lack in one caliber, I have an abundance in another. It’ll shift and I’ll buy for the other calibers.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Weekend, new adventure... Started today with a trip to Scheels. Cost me $436

Wet tumbler
Dehydrator
2x Stainless tumbler media
10x 223 storage boxes
5x 45 acp storage boxes
120rd of 308

Went to Pekin, first store was Stock and Field, It was a dud. advertised store closing, clearance prices. Well, it can tell you why they went out of business. Their clearance prices were higher than everyone else's normal prices.

Went to Dunham's, almost bought me another AR. Told myself if it was still there in 2 weeks, I'll go back. I have the same AR but paid $170 less than they wanted.

Hit a small pawn shop was the only place I spent money in Pekin. Spent $80

2lbs of 300-MP powder
2x 45 acp storage boxes
200x 223 brass
50x 308 brass

Onto the next shop

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
I loaded 100 10 mm today. 100 40 sw yesterday. Im going to get some ammo cans at walmart later. All in caliber specific ammo boxes are full.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
we really do now need ole' joe's stimulus check of $1400 a piece.....just to continue to stimulate an already over-stimulated gun and ammo industry....;)

i done made up my mind....the one high dollar (for me) thing i am going to get...will finally be a lifetime scope.....a Leupold.....i could use a 1.5x4 pig-plex.....

its a tad late in life but better than never....

the kids ought to be happy to inherit that on the 30-30.......

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we really do now need ole' joe's stimulus check of $1400 a piece.....just to continue to stimulate an already over-stimulated gun and ammo industry....;)

i done made up my mind....the one high dollar (for me) thing i am going to get...will finally be a lifetime scope.....a Leupold.....i could use a 1.5x4 pig-plex.....

its a tad late in life but better than never....

the kids ought to be happy to inherit that on the 30-30.......
Never too late unless you’re already dead.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s a long shot but I’m going to see if ole boy still has that 8lb jug of Tite Group. I haven’t been out there since I picked up that Bullseye.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1200x Winchester large pistol primers
500x Hornady .223 bullets
10x 50rd ammo boxes for 44 mag/45 Colt
8lbs Tite Group powder

I’m sure there is something I’m missing. Another $900-$1000 day. I passed on a lot of stuff today.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts