National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I only fish to catch fish I think are quality eating. The only fish I like to fish for anymore are salmon, cod and trout. I won't sport fish for fish from any body of water I don't feel is clean.

I feel salmon have to be caught from the cold ocean to be of good table quality or from a clear mountain stream or river. I feel trout have to be taken from a clean mountain river or stream likewise.

I will avoid lakes, rivers or other bodies of water that look muddy or polluted. I avoid stagnant water as ponds. I won't fish from inland bodies that have people swimming in them or dogs in them.

I don't want fish from any body of water warmer than the Pacific Ocean off the coast of northern California. I also like low/no mercury which is why I have given up eating albacore.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
I fish at the gun club. I catch and release. It's just for relaxation. No need for licence since it's a private pond. And we buy the fish that are stocked.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fish at the gun club. I catch and release. It's just for relaxation. No need for licence since it's a private pond. And we buy the fish that are stocked.
Waters too cold as in Alaska are not ideal for fish or crab also. They may be too tough and lack flavor my grandfather thought. He avidly fished for king salmon, rock cod and stripers off the San Francisco coast. I might also shun striped bass these days because of mercury concerns. The northern California coast produces the best ocean fin fish and shellfish. Maine produces the best lobster. Fish from waters too warm are soft and mushy: too cold, too firm.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I loved sport fishing back in the day. Caught Marlin and Swordfish and Shark. You are missing out .
Also I love me some fried Catfish, guess you would not like those dirty bottom dwellers, but they taste great with some slaw and hush puppies and an ice cold Shiner Bock.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Waters too cold as in Alaska are not ideal for fish or crab also. They may be too tough and lack flavor my grandfather thought. He avidly fished for king salmon, rock cod and stripers off the San Francisco coast. I might also shun striped bass these days because of mercury concerns. The northern California coast produces the best ocean fin fish and shellfish. Maine produces the best lobster. Fish from waters too warm are soft and mushy: too cold, too firm.
Waters too cold in Alaska for good tasting food?
Have you ever had King Crab, Pollack or Halibut form the Bering Sea? Some of the tastiest fish out there.
Those boys would not be out there in some of the most dangerous waters on the planet if the catch was awful and no one wanted to eat it.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Let's not forget, since you insist on fish from clean waters, that the entire CA coast is polluted from the Japanese nuke accident of a few years ago.

Warm water fish is nasty? Guess you never fished off Hawaii, the Keys or anywhere in the Caribbean...............gotta love those stone crabs and spiny lobsters

·
Registered
369 Posts
Let's not forget, since you insist on fish from clean waters, that the entire CA coast is polluted from the Japanese nuke accident of a few years ago.

Warm water fish is nasty? Guess you never fished off Hawaii, the Keys or anywhere in the Caribbean...............gotta love those stone crabs and spiny lobsters
I had a port visit in Bali while I was in the Navy. Went to a little beach side restaurant where they serve fresh fish pulled in from the ocean, usually caught that morning, really good stuff.

When I fish, I primarily go for yellow perch or bass (largemouth or smallmouth) because they're found in most ponds and lakes around here. Every once in awhile I'll go for bluegill or pumpkin seed (sun fish, some people call them), those are real tastey, but there's not much meat on them. Honestly, any fish can be good, you just have to know how to prepare it.

Reactions: Wag

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have not been fishing at all anywhere since 2006. I then gave it up out of boredom. The last time I fished the California coast was salmon in 1997. I was sometimes successful with salmon on the party boat but I hate party boats. I thought if I were to ever fish again in coastal waters it would have to be on a private boat. But if the CA coast is contaminated with nuclear waste, I want to study into this some more. I think next I will take up fly-fishing. I think this method is required to take salmon or trout from clear mountain rivers and streams. Then I have to find the cleanest mountain rivers and streams in western America there are still remaining.

I buy Chicken of the Sea canned pink salmon because it's the best tasting on the market and salmonids (salmon, trout, chad, etc.) are naturally low in mercury. I like canned smoked herring sometimes but I am not fond of sardines. Canned salmon is not nearly as good as fresh grilled salmon from the ocean or clean rivers or as good as smoked salmon but it is OK as a tuna substitute to make sandwiches or a casserole.

If one is a good angler, fly-fishing seems to be the most exciting method out there after having seen the film A River Runs Through It.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why is this guy still here? Seriously!
This guy is probably still here because he has been watching his language, playing nice and not calling people names
even though some here may think him a pest.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You don’t fish, don’t hunt, but you have no problem telling others that they are not doing it right
I'm just not doing these things currently. I haven't corrected anybody. I'm just sharing with others what appeals to me personally.

If you enjoy lawful and proper bass fishing, abalone diving, tree squirrel hunting and catfish fishing and it makes you or your family members happy then it is a good thing.
Some folks even enjoy gigging frogs.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
:lol: ............... I don't care ......

:popcorn2:

·
Registered
13,199 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was young, my older brother and I would fish in front of our waterfront property. We typically caught sunfish, and some bluegills. Once we had enough, we would clean them and give them to my mother to cook for dinner. I was 6 and my brother was 7. Years later, I would go crabbing (why do people call it crab fishing?), and we would steam the crabs that we caught, and to me, there are no better tasting crabs than the blue crabs caught in the Chesapeake Bay.

One thing that my brother told me, now that he lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast, is that, it doesn't matter what fish you caught, if it's prepared properly, it will taste good. He was fishing one day with friends, and caught a bunch of carp. They were going to throw them back, but one of his friends said to keep them and he would cook them. (this guy was a chef). They brought them home, and while they were watching a football game, this chef prepared the carp. The chef brought in from the kitchen, something that looked like french fries, and my brother and his friends ate them and commented about how good they were. It turns out that they were the carp that they caught, and the chef knew how to prepare that fish so that it tasted good.

Also, something that my mother taught me a long time ago....if a person doesn't like a food, then it wasn't prepared to their liking. She told me this once when I told her that she has to be the best cook on the planet, and she said, no, she just knows how the family likes to have foods prepared. She said that, she could cook a meal that we loved, but that someone else might hate. I proved her point years later, when I cooked up a bunch of Brussel sprouts, and took them to work. The guys at work hated Brussel sprouts, but I encouraged them to try one. After trying one, they couldn't believe that they were Brussel sprouts, and they ended up eating them all. If the food is prepared properly, it will taste good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts