National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to enjoy collecting a good pistol or rifle with a good story that goes along
with it. The Mauser HSc - .32ACP - is one that I've had for almost as long as I
can remember. I think it was given to me in payment for some work that I did in
my early 20's.

It's history was rather dramatic, and tragic, for the (what I imagine was) the original
owner.

In 1940, there was a 'blitz' going on over England and at one (early) point it was
being carried on by the Luftwaffe on an around the clock basis. This HSc was
carried by one of a Heinkle bomber's flight crew, who on the night of June 21,
1942, while bombing outside of Newtown, England, found himself losing
altitude and on fire - apparently having been shot down either by one of the
local anti-aircraft batteries or by the RAF.

Back in Germany, by about 1938, Mauser had made/was making the little HSc's
as a stand-in for the Walther PP and the PPS. Reichmarshall Hermann Goering -
an avid gun enthusiast/collector - had taken a liking to the little HSc's - .32ACP -
and directed all production to be distributed to his Luftwaffe aircrews.

This little HSc was - I'm guessing, since the 111's were most numerous and the best
recognised of the Heinkel bombers - riding aboard, on a crewman, in a shoulder
holster (long lost before I ever got the gun), aboard a Heinkel He 111!

The man who stripped it off the ("grievously") injured airman was the cousin to the
American B17 pilot who brought it home - to the brother of the pilot, who had been
killed in a traffic accident (here in San Diego) in the mid-1960's (following this?). His
wife, asked me if I wanted it for some clean out/hauling way some trash out of their
garage.

She showed me the letter that described the history of the little pistol - I didn't ask for it
- but I never forgot any of it.

The Heinkel crash landed between "two cottages," plastering the garden between them up
upon the wall of one. The soil, "being of a clay-like consistency, after a rainfall," had allowed
the "garden to stick perfectly inverted on the wall," as to expose the roots of all of the small
vegetables!

The wreckage was burning, and without hesitation (I suppose not giving any thought that the
bomber might be still full of bombs), the village men ran up to the "grievously injured German,"
carried him back to the burning wreckage, and threw him in. Somewhere in between picking
him up and throwing him back into the burning wreckage, the little HSc was recovered/saved
by the English cousin - who, in turn, later gave it to his cousin, the 8th Air Force pilot.

I thought that seemed a little unlikely that civilised English would do that, but was reassured
that indeed, it did happen. In this case, I was told, a buzz bomb (V1) had landed next to a
school killing, injuring and maiming many children a year prior to the Heinkle crash and
it was not uncommon, for, after all, those German airmen were indiscriminately killing
innocent women and children every day. Later that was also verified by some English
friends of our family who were there during the Blitz.

So, there you have it!

And, the little HSc shooter shoots as well and as accurately as any of the other .32ACP's
that I have ... it came with a whopper of a story!

I like that!
:-B-:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
War is an ugly (but not without beauty) thing.

Nice pistol, with a good story.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Thanks for the story, VERY interesting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts