National Gun Forum banner

My Grandpa brought back a Japanese rifle during WW2...

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Evil-Twin 
#1 ·
My grandpa brought back a Japanese rifle during WW2 however there is no paperwork or anything for it. We're trying to get his estate in order and were wondering if there is anything we need to do to keep the rifle in the family? The rifle is currently in New Jersey.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Back in the late 40's after the war, you could buy one of those rifles at any Army Navy store, for ten dollars.. there are thousands of them in circulation here after the war, while its a nice memento of your grandfathers service, there is no real monetary value other than the sentimental value associated with your grandfather.. You have no reason to further over think this possession as something ay needs to know about.,.,. the government knows nothing of the long rifles and shot guns I own.

#3 · (Edited)
If it is from WWII, it would be over 50 years old and therefore considered a "Curios and Relics" firearm. However depending on the rifle, it may be considered a NFA firearm, meaning the executor would have to submit paperwork to the ATF and the recipient would have to go through a background check.

If you post photos of the rifle, especially any and all markings, we should be able to identify the rifle and determine your next step.

EDIT: What ET said is true, however there are a few rifles are very collectible and worth a lot of money, such as, a Japanese rifle with the Emperor's mark intact.

#4 ·
The NFA was originally enacted in 1934. Similar to the current NFA, the original Act imposed a tax on the making and transfer of firearms defined by the Act, as well as a special (occupational) tax on persons and entities engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, and dealing in NFA firearms. The law also required the registration of all NFA firearms with the Secretary of the Treasury. Firearms subject to the 1934 Act included shotguns and rifles having barrels less than 18 inches in length, certain firearms described as “any other weapons,” machineguns, and firearm mufflers and silencers.

#6 ·
Firearms subject to the 1934 Act included shotguns and rifles having barrels less than 18 inches in length, certain firearms described as “any other weapons,” machineguns, and firearm mufflers and silencers.
The lower limit for rifle barrels is sixteen inches.

#10 ·
There are also these ......

Gun Rifle Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Machine gun Trigger
Gun Firearm Rifle Assault rifle Trigger

...... which are full-auto machine guns, which are illegal to transfer without approval from the ATF.

#13 ·
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I'm trying to get photos now. But I believe it looks closer to the Murata. It's definitely a bolt action rifle and not full-auto. I'm guessing it would fall under "curios and relics."

As you might guess, I'm new to owning firearms and am solely worried about taking said rifle back from NJ to VA.

#14 ·
Ok Popeye. I knew what I read.. and like a former complaint about post and threads being too long... I went to this link

National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I read it from the beginning.. it was enacted in 1934.. if you read down a few paragraph's is specifically states 18 inches.. which No Japanese rifle would qualify.. But, I know you know your stuff.. so I had to read down many paragraphs to the 1968 revision which actually lowered the standard from 18 inches too 16 inches, which would make it easier for non compliance for a Japanese WWII rifle.
AS far as that deleted post.. it was a cut and past of every Japanese variant in WWII.. there are only about 12 actual rifles and all are a variant of the two I pictured. but then I thought, that it might be a bit confrontational so I deleted it..

#16 ·
To the original poster---get the rifle and haul butt to Va------ no rules are being broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.