National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

This thing is really nice! The UPS man delivered it at noon sharp, and by 3:00 PM I had finished a 5 gallon pail full of brass, (.223). All of it trimmed to length, (1.765), and had a beautiful inside and outside chamfer. This tool is one of those investments you hate to spend the money on, but once you do you're glad as hell you did. It is a very well engineered tool, and will no doubt outlive me. Case trimming is about the most thankless, but necessary jobs associated with reloading. This makes it a snap. I highly recommend it over any other brand. When you look at what Lyman and RCBS change for theirs, there simply is no comparison. By all means if your considering a power case trimmer, this is for certain the one to get. Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a bit on the costly side, but well worth it when you consider the power trimmers made by Lyman and RCBS run at or slightly over $200.00, and work nowhere near as well. Once your set up and underway, 20 cases a minute is easily achieved. The other "name brand" trimmers require you to chuck every case, and their cutter RPM is far too slow because they use cheaper, lower HP motors that are geared down resulting in a much slower operation. Once you have the trimmer in whatever caliber you want, additional calibers can be trimmed by simply ordering extra case holders. It even allows for the trimming of meplats on hollow point target bullets like Sierra, by just changing over to a caliber specific meplat trimmer body. I've been wanting one of these for years because I have found myself neglecting to trim cases because it was such a pain in the a$$. This thing makes it pure pleasure. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
That thing looks phenomenal, Mr. Bill! I NEED one...NOW!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here is a short video of it in action. This production rate, (10 cases a minute), can easily be doubled if you set up so there is minimum wasted motion. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Funny you should mention that. That's exactly what I was doing while watching the video. It looks like about $30.00 to add different calibers, so it would get a bit pricey for me, but I'm going to save my pennies.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reload for dozens of calibers, but only a handful that I shoot in high enough volume to require a case trimmer with the speed this one offers. For my big Weatherby Magnums, for example, my Lyman works fine because I'm usually loading up just a box or so. But for .223, .22-250, .308, and .30-06, I'll set up the Giraud. I'm going to get another cutter head and leave it set for .30 caliber, then I won't have to readjust it when going from.22 to .30 caliber. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well, did I misunderstand? Do you use one shell holder for all .30 cal, all .22, etc? I thought it was one holder for each cartridge.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need a separate shell holder for each caliber, but the cutter head works for all cartridges of the same bore size. For example, if you wanted to switch from .223 to .22-250 to .220 Swift, you would need a shell holder for each caliber, but you wouldn't have to adjust the cutter head because they are all .224 diameter. If you switch from say .223 to .30-06, then it would require you to adjust the cutter head from .224 to .308. That is kind of tedious so I'm going to buy a cutter head in .30 caliber, that way it is a simple change out without requiring any adjustment. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well, we haven't seen Mr. BillT in a while, but I didn't forget about his high praise for the Giraud Trimmer. I just got off the phone with Doug Giraud -- very nice gentleman -- and proceeded to order mine. The way things have been recently, I hate to admit it, but I've had to MAKE myself sit down and trim cases and Lord have mercy, I hate that task. Multiply it times the >3,000 .223 cases that are needing it and at least as many .308 and .30-'06, well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I took BillT's advice and ordered the two cutter heads and my most-used shell holders and look forward to receiving the tool in January. Seems Mr. Giraud is pretty busy, too.

I'll type up a report after I get & use it, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's been disappointed.

G

·
I still thing the darn thing is way over priced. I know it works great, but they would sell many times more if they dropped the price a bit. The x die is a lot cheaper. I've got the RCBS Powder Trim. It's not great, but not bad and about half the price. I even think the Dillon's Powder trimmer looks pretty good at half the price.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
No doubt it's pricey. My RCBS power trimmer does an adequate job for the small batches I usually do for myself or a customer. You know, 20 to 100 at a time. But when I have a five-gallon bucket of .223 or .308 brass, which is not uncommon, spending 10 to 15 seconds each, one at a time, gets tedious and -- honestly -- a little uncomfortable for my older-than-dirt wrists and shoulders. Case prep is a PITA under any circumstances but anyone who's reloaded precision rifle knows it's critical.

Regarding the number that Mr. Giraud sells, you're probably right, but it's a sideline for him -- he has a "real job" -- and I still had to wait over a month to get mine. I agree, though, if he could sell more he might be able to lower the price. I'm fortunate in that I can claim it as a business expense. I'm just hoping my bailout -- er -- "Economic Stimulus Capital" gets here soon so I can pay for it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts