National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my semi automatic handguns, and own a few, mainly glocks in each caliber. i carry everyday for my own self defense, unfortunately i recently incurred an injury that leaves me unable to be able to easily rack my slide without being in extreme pain, and it will be months before i will be back to normal. I am therefore now in the market for a revolver, after talking to a few friends i have decided i def want a gun that can shoot both .357 rounds as well as .38 special rounds. i would prefer a internal hammer and i am a smaller guy. 5 8 150 pounds. not the biggest hands either, my glock 30, and glock 19 fit perfect in my hand. i want it to be easily concealable, even more so then my glocks are. i had a ruger lcp .380 but hated it because of how hard it kicked for such a little gun. am i shooting for the moon here or does something exist that has ok recoil, shoots both those rounds and is somewhere in the price range of $500 to $600. i really dont want to go more then $650, and below the mark is always good. any help is appreciated. :wink:

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
For carry, I'd strongly recommend the Ruger LCR in .357 or .38 special!!!
Yep. Me too.S&W makes a lightweight revolver (bodyguard) without a hammer spur but it`s pricey last I looked. I like the Rugers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you can find a good used S&W M640 in .38 Special +P you might like it a lot. I've carried one every day for years, and I'm elderly with arthritic hands. Recoil is very manageable with heavy bullets (158 grain +P) using Pachmayr Compac grips on mine, where the airweight and lighter models are no fun to shoot with.38 +P. To me, an 11 ounce .357 Magnum is kind of nuts.

The Rugers are also great guns, but the Smith is a little lighter in the .38 Special version. Mine weighs 21 ounces unloaded and I carry it in a front-pocket holster.

You really can't go far wrong with either Ruger or S&W revolvers. Both brands are reliable, durable, quality products, with the edge in pure strength of construction going to Ruger. I just have a weakness for the older Smiths.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all, i will look into a bunch of these as soon as i get a chance to head up to my local gun shop, i think its def between a ruger or s&w. anyone have anything pro or con to say about charter arms revolvers. they are local to me, i am out of connecticut and their factory is 15 minutes away. i know you get what you pay for especially in the gun world, and they are on the cheaper side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry a S&W Mod642-2 and my wife has a Mod342 (airlite) in .38special caliber. Keep in mind that in case you ever HAVE to use it, chances are you will not be aware of noise OR recoil until after the situation is over. The 38special has accounted for a lot of stopping power, one of the big reasons it is still so popular. Yes, you have only 5 rounds before a reload is needed. If you can't hit your target at 5-7 yards for self defense purposes in at least 4 of those 5.....you might consider another line of defense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.