National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to start with i love the look and feel of the old style guns. ive used shot guns and rifles for years and handguns for a few less. but i love shooting. i want to get a black powder revolver, but its rather confusing to me. i look for bullets which i thought were all just lead balls and then i see cartridge BP rounds and bullet shaped rounds. im not positive where to get black powder, also im a student in arizona but im from florida and my license is from there can i buy black powder here? what is the wads verses grease deal? which is safest? what caps do i use? and what black powder revolvers are any good? i am looking at the Uberti 1860 army .44. if i buy this weapon(not considered a weapon federally as far as i know) what do i need in all? would someone know of a place on the internet where i can get all the supplys in one go?(shiping costs are up due to gas)of course barring the black powder because its not legal to ship it, is it?

sorry im soo inexperienced at this. my army buddys back home always helped me out and they didnt like BP so i know next to nothing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First of all, you don't need any license to buy a blackpowder gun, unless you live in some Commie state that mandates it. They will ship a blackpowder gun right to your door. In my experience, the round balls are better than the conicals in the revolvers. You can buy everything you need from several different places on the net, but I think Cabela's is about the best on blackpowder revolvers, and you can buy kits that has everything you need but the powder and caps. You can have Pyrodex P shipped to you. It is a little harder to ignite than real blackpowder, but pretty good stuff. I have had good luck with Remington #10 caps. The CCI #11s are usually a tad too big and I have to pinch them to get them to stay on the nipples. Real pain in the butt. The wonder wads they sell accomplish two things. First of all, they are supposed to seal off the blackpowder so that a chainfire does not happen. This is where two or more of the chambers go off at one time. (Something you do NOT want to happen!) Second, it helps lube the bore. Grease over the round balls accomplishes the same thing. The grease is a lot cheaper (you can use Crisco), but the wads are a whole lot less messy, and in the Summer the only way to go. I load a BP revolver like this. First, you need to make sure all the oil is out of the chambers, then cap all 6 chambers and fire them. This makes sure all the oil is out of the nipples. Then you put your powder in, your wonder wad, then your round ball. Finally, you cap each chamber and lower your hammer down on one of the hammer notches between the chambers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok there are cabelas around here. alright thanks so much for the help. i read a few differnt articles where no one told the differnece of wads or grease or which one was better. but now im going to have alot of fun. is the consensus in on whether black powder is more powerful over regular gunpowder? ive heard both ways and somtimes people are just partial.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never, ever use "regular gunpowder" in a BP gun! Only blackpowder or black powder substitutes, such as the above mentioned Pyrodex P for pistols. Pyrodex P is comparable to FFF Blackpowder, in both power and volume. They will weigh different, but the volume is the same. I like real blackpowder and Pyrodex and Triple 7. Real blackpowder is a bit harder to get your gun clean than Pyrodex, but Triple 7 is really easy! If you don't like to clean Triple 7 is the way to go, as you can clean it up fast, and it does not have the rotten egg smell that the real stuff and Pyrodex does. Just make sure you get the pistol powder and not the rifle powder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems about all there. what about the nipple picks and wrenches? are they just a handy item to help clean or are they more necessary?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The nipple wrenches are a necessity, as you got to take them off when you clean the gun in order to get everything good and clean. The nipple picks are handy to have, although I have only had to use one a handful of times. Sometimes the nipples will get clogged with unburned powder and the nipple pick will clean it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of ALL the BP firearms, the civil war era repoped revolovers are by far the most dangerous for new folks. Which kinda funny, because they all want them.

Ive been doing BP for 40 odd years, and wont even work on them, let alone fire them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nonsence I tell ya

I have been doing cap and ball for 30 years and there aint nothing dangerous about the cap and ball pistols but there OWNERS !!!!
They are fine for newbies that read directions though . If you don't read directions , ask questions , the problem with danger self corrects the owner the hard way if you get my drift.
But dangerous ? Not hardly .

Its far more dangerous to your health to have Liberal Democrats in the Whitehouse my friend .

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY Sarah Palin shoots a Browning BMG .50 !!!!!!!!!!
Hillary doesn't even shoot blanks and neither does her husband Billary from
what I have heard . God save the South , and it will rise again along with the North this time !!!

I will feel plenty armed with my cap and ball psitols , and I will feel safe with them too, because they are safe . Its the owners you gotta worry about , not the guns :thumbsup:

Sincerely, Guttbicket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts