National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, my first 1911. I was not in the marked to one but I handled this one and was in awe that it packed a 10+1 capacity. This one has a 3 port ported barrel on it. It’s small but will pack one hell of a punch. I am anxious to compare it to a full size 1911. Grip is pretty fat and short with a double stack 45 mag. I can get 2-1/2 fingers on the grip. Super compact with all the 1911 features from what I can tell. Paid $506 for it.

3192A452-96A4-4A2F-B725-6845CBDCF892.jpeg

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Welcome to the world of 1911's. Waring they tend to have offspring. :cornut:

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
That ought to be interesting to shoot with that fat stubby grip. I like some of RIA’s 1911’s, but personally don’t like the feel of the double stack guns. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after shooting it some. I know some folks really like that double stack grip; I guess I am more of a traditionalist...not really, I just prefer the single stacks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That ought to be interesting to shoot with that fat stubby grip. I like some of RIA’s 1911’s, but personally don’t like the feel of the double stack guns. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after shooting it some. I know some folks really like that double stack grip; I guess I am more of a traditionalist...not really, I just prefer the single stacks.
I agree with most of what you said. The finish is what has prevented my from trying out an RIA 1911. Not just RIA but parkerized finishes in general. Just seems to mar easy. Some parkerized finishes just seem better than others.This one seems to have a slightly higher grade finish but time will tell. Has a small grip safety which was a plus for me because many irritate my palm. Upgraded features like large beaver tail and skeletonized trigger, ported barrel are all nice upgrades. In my mind it’s a novelty gun but I have high hopes with RIA’s reputation with 1911’s. My neighbor handed my his P365 over the weekend to test some rounds I loaded. He referred to it as an angry little gun. I sent him a picture of this and said this is an angry little gun, haha.

·
Registered
18,604 Posts
It was the double-stack grip that stopped me cold on the CZ-75 and on a couple of SIG Sauer's P220/P229. Can't get the pad of my trigger finger onto the front trigger face(shoe). Single column grips for me and my Government Model 1911's.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple more pictures of the grip width and barrel ports. The way it’s ported is unusual. Probably be a bear to clean.

EB55419C-EF7E-414A-92A6-6EED85C0A72E.jpeg

28D6B02B-9395-4F0F-9AD2-EE6DF9D80E80.jpeg

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
It was the double-stack grip that stopped me cold on the CZ-75 and on a couple of SIG Sauer's P220/P229. Can't get the pad of my trigger finger onto the front trigger face(shoe). Single column grips for me and my Government Model 1911's.
I don’t mind the grip on my FNX-45, but the double stack 1911 does not feel right to me. I was kind of surprised how much I like the FNX because I do not have huge hands.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a double stack 45 grip on my XDM and it doesn’t bother me but some others do. It’s just a comfort preference. This grip is girthy but I don’t know that it’s any bigger than the XDM. I’ll have to hold them side by side to tell. It’s bigger than the .40.

my compact XDM 45 only hold 9rds though without the extended mag.

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
I’m interested to see how you like it. I’ve wanted one for sometime but I’ve got to feel it and I’m concerned that it would be tough to hit a phone booth from the inside with it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Haha, 3.1” is short but I have smaller.

I did some looking and it looks like the ported barrel/slide is an improved version of the original. Apparently there were some cycling issues that the porting was supposed to overcome. Thing is, all of the reviews I’ve seen so far are of the original version. It’s easy to tell the difference because the original has a fiber optic front sight, which the porting would no doubt destroy. Weather is getting better but it’ll be about 7-14 days before I’ll see it. According to the shop, that’s how long it takes to run my “background check” for the 37th time...

31oz empty and a reported 44oz loaded, its hefty.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congrars! I have an RIA single stack compact in FDE Cerakote. I have 500 - 600 rounds through it so far and other then a couple of stove pipes on my early reloads, it has been flawless. Eats ball, plated, truncated cone, and hollow point with equal ease. Other than an extended slide release, I haven't done a thing to it and it's a treat. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve never fired a 1911. I had my brother’s $1,200 Springfield over here for a month and never took it out back. I have some pretty snappy guns like a 22oz Bond derringer that shoots 3” 410 magnum shells so this isn’t going to kick as hard as that does. I just hope it’s something I’ll enjoy shooting.

I have very few handguns I paid over $500 for, just stainless revolvers and that Bond. $500 is kind of my threshold. I have to really want it pretty bad to pay that kind of coin for a pistol. I have guns that were originally priced over $500 but I waited for them to be clearanced before I bought them.

I do, however, have a love of the 45, ACP and Colt. This one just has something about it I like. Quite possibly just the fact it’s a somewhat tiny big bore, but it feels good in the hand. I wasn’t sure at first with that fat grip. I handled it for a good 7-10 minutes before I decided I liked it. It wasn’t love at first grip. I think I have enough grip and slender enough hands to get my pinky finger on the grip. It’s a little crowded but doable. I am also very familiar with the 1911 grip angle as I shoot a lot of Springfields and they all have the 1911 grip angle (there’s some irony for you).

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Shoot it yet? I remember the Para-Ordnances with their double stack 1911.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, I just paid for it. 3 day min wait but it’s taking 1-2 weeks for the state police to do their “background check”.

·
Registered
13,189 Posts
Looking into my crystal ball here, i see you getting at least 3 more 1911's by the end of the year......

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Field strip it when you get it. Sometimes they are bone dry. And sometimes they are packed full of preservative. A trick to save on the idiot scratch. Until you get good at inserting the slide stop. I use a old credit card when sliding it back in.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Field strip it when you get it. Sometimes they are bone dry. And sometimes they are packed full of preservative. A trick to save on the idiot scratch. Until you get good at inserting the slide stop. I use a old credit card when sliding it back in.
thanks

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I watched a video interview from Shot Show 2020. This is supposed to be the second in the line of Baby Rocks and a third in on the way chambered in 9mm.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts