National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on Muzzle brakes or a compensator for a Henry Big X chambered in .357/.38 special. 5/8 x 24 pitch. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
From $7.99 to $150.00. Shop shop shop. Some look better than others and some work better Han others. They are basically two different items. A comp is usually much heavier than a break. A 357 rifle isn’t much of a recoil producer.

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
There is definitely stuff out there, but most comps in that caliber are designed for pistols and thus have different threads. There are comps in 5/8x24 for 350 legend...you would have to know more concerning the inner diameter before trying it. You gotta just search. But, my curiosity, why would you put either on a .357 lever gun?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
There's the noise recoil reduction trade off. In your case it may not be a good deal with the noise but not much recoil reduction because there's not much recoil there. Did you already shoot it as is? How was the recoil?

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
One that is a sound forwarder would be more helpful IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The 1/2X24 thread is going to limit your selection. Then finding one for 38/357 is going to make it even tougher. If you find one you like in a smaller caliber, it most likely can be bored out to the size you need. I know the rifle your trying to fit one on. As a last resort you could get a blank and have it tapped out to the thread and bore you want. Shop around and contact the manufacturer of the one you want.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
Even with the stoutest .357 loads you could find recoil will be very minimal. The noise level is also much lower than a handgun because of the longer barrel and no forcing cone gap. Not sure what a brake or compensator will do for you. I believe they are threaded more for using a suppressor so you can shoot with minimal or no hearing protection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts