National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a gun that I have had for years and would like to start doing some target practice at between 50 to 100 yards. I dont know what type of mounts to purchase or scope to purchase. I dont want to sink a lot of money into a scope but I would like to have one that is nice and reliable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

·
Super Moderator
15,285 Posts
I doubt your 120A is drilled and tapped for mounts. So, part of your project would be getting that done. I don't know what D&T costs these days but it probably as much as an inexpensive scope. By the time you D&T, buy mounts and rings, buy a scope and have it mounted you are likely going to have put as much money into getting all that done as the rifle itself is worth.

My advice would be to start visiting pawn shops in your area and find a 22 rifle that is already scoped. It will likely only be slightly more than getting the work done and buying materials. Plus you can leave your old 120A in the original condition it's in.

Alan

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
If I recall correctly (and that's an iffy thing) the Savage Springfield Model 120A single shot .22 Cal. rifle has a receiver grooved to accept 3/8" scope rings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I recall correctly (and that's an iffy thing) the Savage Springfield Model 120A single shot .22 Cal. rifle has a receiver grooved to accept 3/8" scope rings.
Your memory serves you well. It is 3/8 ths grooved scope rings. Any suggestions on where and what type of scope to get? I have included a picture of the top of the receiver so you and others will know what I am talking about.
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood String instrument accessory Electric blue

Thanks for your help

·
Aim true !
12,465 Posts
You will get a lot of opinions on scopes. A rim fire scope to start with. What one would be determined on the purpose of the scope. And your budget.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will get a lot of opinions on scopes. A rim fire scope to start with. What one would be determined on the purpose of the scope. And your budget.
I am very new to all of this. Like I said earlier I will be shooting 50 and 100 yard targets and would like something that would work well for me. I have looked at several sites but not knowing what to purchase I have held off. I have about $100.00 to spend on the scope and mount. I am not opposed to going to my local gun shop but if I can find what I need on line then I would probably do that.

·
Aim true !
12,465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,285 Posts
This goes to show that Popeye has almost forgotten more than I ever knew.

There are integral mounts/rings for that 3/8 groove.

Alan

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Most of those older rifles with the 3/8 grooved receivers took the old 3/4 diameter tube rimfire scopes. Those were the only scopes i knew of that had bases for the 3/8 grooved receivers.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ah!... Modern made 3/8 scope rings I reckon it shows how long its been since I've dealt with 3/8 scope mounts. I was thinking in terms of the .22 scopes from the 60's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts