National Gun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all, just want to know what you guys think. It could even be a brand name. I’m not looking for a 22 for myself, just fishing for some opinions.

edit: I personally like the Model 60 or a 10/22

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
This is going to be a ford vs chevy kinda thread.

:popcorn2:

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
Aaaaand butthurt in one reply! :wink:

Look, brotha, you already know what you want. Go get it an be happy. Ya just make a decision and stick with it. And be happy.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
The most accurate gun. Is the one you can shoot best.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Ruger 10/22.

As accurate as any in its class, highly customizable, Removable 25 round magazines. The break down version will fit in a back pack.

But.... It is 22LR. That LR is important.

The best 22 caliber rifle for SHTF is an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 NATO. A 7in 1 barrel makes it match quality accurate, highly customizable, removable 30 round magazines, No break down versions that I know of. You could turn it into a SBR that could fit in a backpack but then why would you want to stash the thing that is going to keep you alive in a backpack?

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
The two you picked would be the same two i would choose. If i had to pick a non semi i would pick a Henry.

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
Im going to throw a wrench in this thread he he. A Smith and Wesson M and P 15-22 :machinegun:

·
Live Free
2,941 Posts
I agree with Yosemeti Sam, 22lr would not be my choice. I owned a Model 60 for a while and I still own a 10/22. I prefer the 10/22 mainly for a lot of the same reasons Siplace already mentioned, and it is fun and easy to shoot well. They are both good rifles. But for a "SHTF" situation I want a little more effective fire power. There are a lot of great firearms that would be handy in my opinion; any number of pistol caliber semi-auto carbines, there are untold numbers of AR's that are quite effective and dependable, or even an M1A. The key to selection is, as was already said, find the gun that you can shoot and handle well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Which on are you willing to strip down, and clean the crud out of occasionally?

The Marlin 60, better order a couple extra buffers, because they can go to hell in a heartbeat.

But the 10/22 take down gives you the added advantages of reduced size, and easily cleaning
it from the chamber end.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,130 Posts
Most reliable? That would be a bolt action rifle of some sort, probably a single shot.

Most accurate? Accuracy is a function of the person holding the firearm.

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
Which on are you willing to strip down, and clean the crud out of occasionally?

The Marlin 60, better order a couple extra buffers, because they can go to hell in a heartbeat.

But the 10/22 take down gives you the added advantages of reduced size, and easily cleaning
it from the chamber end.
What are the buffers? I have a Marlin 60.

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
What are the buffers? I have a Marlin 60.

In the back of the receiver behind the bolt is a piece of nylon plastic that adsorbs shock from the bolt so it wont damage the receiver. They usually last a long time unless you start running hot ammo like stingers, yellow jackets etc but they do wear out eventually.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Wyoming
4,252 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
22lr semi auto is a terrible choice for SHTF.. Single shot will be the most reliable. I stil have and love my first rifle, Remington Target Master single shot. Taken countless Crows, some squirrels and rabbit as well.

Great Grandfather, when I was very young would pay me .25 cents for ever crow I brought back out of the tomato field. Needless to say, I'd sit out there all day and bring back a rice sack and watch his eyes get big

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
Thanks now I know what a buffer is.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
the AR-7.......been there, done that.....and probably will do it again.......The two Charters i had were unreliable and the Survival arms model developed a cracked receiver, a first gen henry was ok but ammo sensitive and the front sight was way too lose for my comfort. I traded off all of them.....but i am so intrigued by the design that i still like the concept.....and probably will get snake bit again....despite the trigger that feels rather glockish with peanut butter for lube.........

if Henry would now just produce an AR-5.....even a 22 LR version instead of a hornet, i would pounce.

Reactions: Popeye
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.