National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which revolvers do you guys think are the most popular or the best ones? Which have you seemed to enjoy the most or wanted the most? Which have you owned?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Which revolvers do you guys think are the most popular or the best ones? Which have you seemed to enjoy the most or wanted the most? Which have you owned?

I like my Ruger revolvers because they can handle all sorts of heavy than caliber ammo. My favorites are the Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull and Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull 7.5”.

My S&W revolvers have a great trigger. I carry a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot and on occasions the S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum . I always liked the 2.5” 8 shot because of its ability to handle recoil.

I have a Chiappa Rhino 60DS 6 Shot 357 Magnum which I thought was odd, but it is true about the recoil. It is mitigated by the design, and the 11 lb trigger is smooth.

I have several Taurus revolvers. I have owned a Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum, 1994 Custom Shop since it’s inception, and it has been very reliable with a round count in the 1200s. The Taurus 44 Magnum Raging Hunter has a nice lightweight frame, good trigger and handles 240 grain ammunition easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great collection!

--Wag--
Thank you!

Bear in mind I reload for the different calibers.

3 aren’t in the pics. Chiappa Rhino 60DS 6 Shot 357 Magnum , S&W 629 44 Magnum 6.5” and S&W 500 Magnum 6.5”.

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Reloading is the only way to go. Do you cast your own boolits, too?

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Most popular? Perhaps Ruger. But maybe you’re asking caliber or action? I like single actions........this week. Next week it will be double actions. Caliber? This week it’s 357. Last week it was .45 Colt. Next week it could be .38 SPL. I like revolvers now but last year and for 15 years before that it was semi autos.

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
From my own experience, Ruger for SA Revolvers and both Ruger and S&W for DA revolvers. Best SA revolver I ever owned was a Freedom Arms .454. Best DA revolver a S&W 629 from the Performance Center. I am not heavy into revolvers nowadays...only a few in my collection now...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Reloading is the only way to go. Do you cast your own boolits, too?

--Wag--
I do not cast. That seems involved.

I have a dedicated progressive for 9 mm, 40 S&W /10 mm, 45 ACP, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum. I have a turret set up for 500 Magnum, and single stage my 454 Casull and 460 Magnum.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I use my S&W 686 .357 a lot at the range because it is very accurate, and I can use .38 special wad-cutter ammo. I also use my S&W 617 .22 because it is very accurate, and .22 ammo is relatively cheap. Both are stainless steel with wood "square butt" grips.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
popular......what seems to be popular if you go by sales at the moment is small frame revolvers. The Smith 642 as i understand has been S&W's No. 1 selling revolver for a number of years. The Ruger LCR and SP series are also popular in retail sales.... concealed carry/home defense is the main motivation in revolver retail sales.

best......a lot of arguments about what is best.....if i could only own one brand or one revolver....Ruger.

i generally despise new s&w revolvers and prefer older versions.

'

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
I do not cast. That seems involved.

I have a dedicated progressive for 9 mm, 40 S&W /10 mm, 45 ACP, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum. I have a turret set up for 500 Magnum, and single stage my 454 Casull and 460 Magnum.
It can be involved but it can be pretty simple, too. Cost reduction is huge, too.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Justin starts a post. But never follows up with replies to the responses. It would be nice to see him converse more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm partial to the old Colt and S&W revolvers, especially the police revolvers. That said, Ruger is probably most popular, and if I was buying a new one, Ruger would be what I want.

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Justin starts a post. But never follows up with replies to the responses. It would be nice to see him converse more.
Everyone participates in his own way. We don't know what's going on on his side of the keyboard. Regardless, the discussion has been very good.

--Wag--

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
S&W for me over Ruger. I am not a SAA fan. Give me a nice 19 or 66, M&P (pre-10), L frames, N frames Registered magnums; look online and see who gets the higher dollars when sold - it isn't Taurus, Chiappa or Ruger

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Yes agreed it has been a good thread. Maybe he's a little shy and will open up over time.
I like my Ruger's and sw 25-5 the best out of my revolvers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts