National Gun Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,132 Posts
Nope, all good. ATF says fine. No third hole. SN is demilled and thereby destroyed. Not a problem. If i put a ford emblem on it i wouldn't have to pay vehicle tax.
ATF says AOK.
Highly skeptical the ATF is OK with this. Also, while I understand the point you're trying to make, the Ford emblem analogy is not even remotely the same thing as welding a demilled SN on a 80% lower.

How has the ATF communicated to you that this is OK?

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
If you mill it, it still doesnt designate if its a semi auto, pump, bolt, musket, rifle or pistol, etc.

I'm just worried you might get screwed on the serial number thing.

I understand what you're saying, yet this is a serial number from a select fire firearm that is being transposed onto an 80PL...which in time will become a firearm (MAYBE) - YET its still a paper weight till then. There are many question and ways to look at this, if you called and the ATF and they say "ya, its ok to weld serial numbers from a de-milled select fire firearm onto a 80PL" (wow this opens a whole other world) .... then who am I to question.

I see its just a paper weight and I see most who buy these keep them that way. Just now if you need to sell once its completed or the state you live in forces you to register after making a 80PL into a firearm.....

Just trying to look out for ya. Get that "yes its ok" from the ATF in writing if you can

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Highly skeptical the ATF is OK with this. Also, while I understand the point you're trying to make, the Ford emblem analogy is not even remotely the same thing as welding a demilled SN on a 80% lower.

How has the ATF communicated to you that this is OK?
Over beers. His words, "It is demilled, as long as you are not remanufacturing a machinegun, or manufacturing firearms with intent to sell without a federal firearms license, it has the same legal weight of welding on a "Hello Kitty". Seeing that you have not obstructed/ (filed down) the SN of an existing firearm by welding this over, you are in complete compliance of the law." I'm an RN, I don't break the law. My education was too expensive for that. No third hole, no machinegun.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You may think I'm picking on you and from what has transpired so far I can see how you may come to that conclusion but that's not my intention. Just trying to have a healthy discussion where we all can benefit, including myself.

Most of what you said is correct. The topic of serial numbers came up but mostly mentioned by others. I wasn't sure who brought it up but thats why I added my 2¢. I look at any forum posting as an opportunity for all of us to discuss and learn things.

I don't know who or how you know this guy who you appear to refer to him as the ATF. If you were to violate any federal firearm laws and tell the judge in court "well John told me it was okay when we were having a few beers" don't drop the soap. Then you quoted him, try that in court too.

Over beers. His words, "It is demilled, as long as you are not remanufacturing a machinegun, or manufacturing firearms with intent to sell without a federal firearms license, it has the same legal weight of welding on a "Hello Kitty". Seeing that you have not obstructed/ (filed down) the SN of an existing firearm by welding this over, you are in complete compliance of the law." I'm an RN, I don't break the law. My education was too expensive for that. No third hole, no machinegun.
Don't be so arrogant to believe that you don't break any laws. There's no way you could possibly know them all and follow them all. Being an RN doesn't make you immune in any way. There are quite a few RN drug dealers out there as you may be aware of. Your education was in biology and such and not the law. Doctor, lawyer, Indian chief, hows that for political incorrectness, We all make mistakes and know ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Not looking to insult or argue. Just friendly advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Idk about the selling rule but if you have an Etsy or something let me know when you are ready, dude those keychains and scrape metal is so cool. Good find for sure

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
All such business ventures bear some risk. Some risks are minimal as in, someone buys a truckload of milk but it spoils before it can be sold. Other risks are pretty high as in, someone buys a truckload of cocaine and ends up in prison with all of the monetary and other soft costs of that result.

FWIW, if NGF were to determine that the OP's product is illegal, the thread would be deleted and the OP banned. So far, we haven't proven as much. Yet.

In the meantime, we'll see what happens going forward.

--Wag--

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Many moons ago they would palatalize 'lots' and open them up for bids. I knew the "Brass Monkey" and he would bid on 55 gal barrels of once fired brass. He would tumble them in a cement mixer and bag and sell them at gun shows and in the "Shotgun News." He was making good money till the bottom fell out of the market.
That is how it's still done. If it's not thrown away it's put out for bid or they have live auctions on anything where money is concerned. I have never heard of just sending some guy to the scrap yard to turn in metal. A good friend of mine does this at Fort Drum quite frequently and often pick stuff up, usually brass but occasionally some other odds and ends.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts