National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Fort Carson near Colorado Springs and I always slip a few bucks to my local scrap metal guy for when military brass gets dropped off to be melted down. I get a call in January, "Judah, you should come down here now." I drop everything, pull up in my truck to 4 guys looking into a 55-gallon drum. NICE, I get a grip of brass, right? Wrong. An Army officer is standing there with his arms crossed sort of frowning. I peer into the barrel and see HUNDREDS of crushed Colt M16A1 lower receivers. He said they must be from Vietnam or some other conflict, but all I could do is ask how much he wanted for the barrel. Long story short, he got a down payment for a new vehicle and helped load it in my truck. The top of the barrel had nice stuff, the bottom of it just shards, but I managed to get my metal buddy some work by making these. What do you think?

·
Aim true !
9,998 Posts
Let me guess. Your going to sell the keychains?

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Aim true !
9,998 Posts
Ok cool. I was going to say don't try to sell them right off. We have selling rule here. Good Job you have. Please be careful with the covid-19. And welcome on board.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Looks like you're on to something! Well done! The key chains will be a hit! I'd be in for one or two too if you plan on selling. EDIT - just saw your post on the key chains - received and understood. Took me a while to type this out.

Not trying to be a downer here just trying to help ...... Don't know the legality of using decommissioned serial numbers for new lowers. Ya might have to look into this, or if someone here knows - school me.. I know making a firearm for yourself is legal and only legal to sell if you 100% have to and following the federal laws. Just you can not be manufacturing for profit and once you put a serial number on a lower it becomes a virgin firearm. Just giving a heads up on the decommissioned serial numbers. Using decommissioned serial numbers for me would be something I'd look into if I was putting them on 80P lowers.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
that little horse emblem along with "colt" has always been a stand-out item.....in which case you do have to pay for the name and emblem...

·
Registered
Pistoleer
35 Posts
I would be interested in buying a few of those crushed M16A1 lower receivers. Message me if interested.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Eh Odds are one those I carried/Issued 25-30 years ago Was Scrap when assembled, I can pass. AWESOME find though me not a fan of the M16/A1 or A2 to others might be different opinion.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The key-chains are definitely cool and maybe this is just me, but attaching the ID plate to another lower with the serial number ( I assume that has been retired?) that identifies it as a class III firearm may be a problem down the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The key-chains are definitely cool and maybe this is just me, but attaching the ID plate to another lower with the serial number ( I assume that has been retired?) that identifies it as a class III firearm may be a problem down the road.
Nope, all good. ATF says fine. No third hole. SN is demilled and thereby destroyed. Not a problem. If i put a ford emblem on it i wouldn't have to pay vehicle tax.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Many moons ago they would palatalize 'lots' and open them up for bids. I knew the "Brass Monkey" and he would bid on 55 gal barrels of once fired brass. He would tumble them in a cement mixer and bag and sell them at gun shows and in the "Shotgun News." He was making good money till the bottom fell out of the market.

I'm not accusing you or your accomplice, I mean friend, of anything but it sounds like your friendly neighborhood Army Officer might have been augmenting his US Gov't stipend with some under the table deals. I know they sell de-mill'ed items but I'm fairly sure they have procedures and that doesn't sound like anything legit.

I don't know anything, I never do but I don't think you can re-register those serial numbers. Somewhere in a pile of red tape they have all those serial numbers listed as destroyed. Uncle Sam isn't always good with it but he loves his paperwork. Reviving those from the dead may send up red flags. Worse case scenario is men in ill fitting suits from an alphabet agency, and not affiliated with google, come a-knokin. Post 9/11 jack booted thugs may come knocking on your door with a battering ram looking for Elian Gonzalez or Roger Stone since he got away the first time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing is re-registered. Nothing ever has been. If you weld a piece on to an 80% it is STILL an 80%. If you then mill it, it is a semi auto. No full auto, no registration. 100% legal. ATF says AOK.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts