National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of the raptor grip that came on it, so I’ve been trying to put a pistol grip on without having to buy the SB Tactical brace. Just curious if anyone knows if it’s still legal like this? It’s well over the 26” and you can’t attach a stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nobody in their right mind will give you a legal opinion on this bizarre construct of the ATF. I will however give you an opinion as a non-attorney, unpaid, non-spokesperson. It's almost certainly fine with ATF if you do not change overall length. However, what local law enforcement and the politically minded DA of the jurisdiction you are in will do may vary should it ever have to come to their attention. I would avoid that.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
By the time you waste money buying parts, you'd be better off to just out right paying for the tax stamp for an SBS. This way you can put a real stock that will actually work. I know it sucks just right now n till these laws get addressed just get the stamp.

Though with what you're asking no its not legal to do so. You're creating a different firearm by changing it. Others are a scary thing to play with, with putting on parts and changing them from original specs. Here again, I'm no lawyer just telling you whats been talked of, your safe bet is to just pay the tax stamp.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of these pistol gripped shotguns. After people get them, they realize that you can’t aim them very well because there’s no shoulder to brace against and get your cheek down where it belongs. Then owners put the “brace” on it, or want to fit a stock on it and that’s where you violate the law. If I ever needed a 10” shotgun, I’d be down in the basement with a hacksaw and there wouldn’t be any government left to worry about anymore. Id have a 12 ga SXS Savage 311 cut to holster length. In the meantime, I’ll just stay on the right side of the law and buy guns I can hunt with or actually use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whole thing I’m so confused about is how I could order the SB Tactical brace and that’s completely legal to use. All I did was grind that stock tube smooth so you can’t attach anything to it just like how the brace comes

·
Aim true !
10,073 Posts
These are around 200 bucks. Stevens 320 security. It's my home defense shotgun. I also zeroed the sights for rifled slugs. It would be an easy legal solution.
28238157_293375021190949_5781987980115867409_o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
The whole thing I’m so confused about is how I could order the SB Tactical brace and that’s completely legal to use. All I did was grind that stock tube smooth so you can’t attach anything to it just like how the brace comes
Then either pay the 200 dollar tax stamp or get the Stevens that Coal posted.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That doesn’t look like a bad setup, only problem is I’ve already spent over $600 on mine with a laser and stuff so I was just trying to figure out what I can do. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
49 Posts
No that is not still legal. The Shockwave is legally considered a firearm, one of the stipulations is "It’s not a shotgun because it isn’t shoulder-fired" by making it able to be shoulder-fired it no longer fits into the category that allowed it to be a legal firearm. It's the reason the grip was designed to be non-removable.
I know they say the SB Tactical brace is ATF compliant, however I have never seen any paperwork to verify this. This is the BATF letter supplied by Mossberg.
https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts