National Gun Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Get pissy if you want to. I didn’t come to ask about wrenches. Maybe I’m less feeble, maybe I can operate a wrench without an idiot stuck in the middle protecting me, who knows. I asked about shotguns and got my answer. You’d think by liking the responses and even posting tongue in cheek that’d clue you in to that, but hey different strokes.

Now I’m going to find out if these shells that have been in the attic since the 80’s still work.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,933 Posts
I've been following this thread. I'm not real sure why but I have a little to add.

There are two ways to learn how to correctly do something. 1) Taking the advice, and watching, those who have been doing it correctly for decades. 2) Ignoring those people and doing it 'your way'. The second way can lead to considerable frustration and expense BUT you'll remember the lessons learned longer.

More comments:

The biggest problem with your choke wrench is, it can/will deliver too much troque for its intended purpose if not used properly.

Your choke is not a Full choke. It is a Turkey choke. Its opening is smaller than a Full choke, more constriction, tighter patterns. Think, Extra-Full.

Using ammunition thats been stored in an attic for forty years is not the wisest course of action.

Improper stock fit? Read this: Shotgun Fit: Understanding Stocks

You may be a first-class, A-number-one, Machinist (maybe even a Master Machinist) but you don't know crap about shotgunning. I fear your hubris will, eventually, jump up and bite your posterior.

Its obvious, you're gonna do what you're gonna do. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
on a side note......remember when Remington had some branded knives that had a choke tube wrench blade?........better than using a quarter....but not by much....

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
on a side note......remember when Remington had some branded knives that had a choke tube wrench blade?........better than using a quarter....but not by much....
I have something similar, and the quarter actually works better - but not by much.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,292 Posts
To be fair, if y'all check the choke wrenches for sale on Amazon, there are a couple that look (and probably function) like what the OP has.

As for the 40 year old shotgun shells ..... with the price of new box of shotgun shells, experimenting with 40 year old ammo simply isn't worth the risk. They "may" work just fine, but then again they "may" not.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem using the shotgun shells for pattern testing. They don't look like they were stored under ideal conditions but they probably be okay. Just make sure you take proper precautions for any duds or hangfires.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Couldn’t stand it. I’ve been wanting an 88 for a year. Went to Academy this morning and got the 88 Field. Very happy with the field choice. 28”. I would like to maybe add a heat guard and definitely add a shell caddy on the side. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
when it comes to shotguns.......i generally follow the old saying......"less is more"......and keep it slim, trim, and clutter-free.....and generally oem....with few exceptions.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get a belt for shells vs putting them on the gun.

Re: the advice keep it simple, most uses of shot gun are moving targets, so matching game speed and lead are the critical skills to acquire. The heavier you make the gun, the harder to master those skills as your fine motor control has to handle the weight. Lighter is easier.

Notable exceptions, Turkey, Mossbergs with accumag are easy to over choke. My 935 loved the Promos Jellyhead. The stock Mossberg choke was a joke. 0.67” - so tight it opened the pattern to 48” at 25 yards. 0.6995-.710 was 12 ish inches at 25 yards. Full choke was .710.

Remember to try those if Turkey is a problem.

Hevi shot worked best. The Winchester longbeard family worked well, as did Remington. Remingtons all lead patterned right in there with Hevi and Longbeard.

Lead is generally easier to pattern vs brass coated and steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts