National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I bought my first shotty. I passed on the maverick 88, nearly got the 500/590, and ended up with an 835 all purpose for the Magnum 3 1/2” option. 24” length.

.....as I have only pistols, i have new guy shotgun questions.

(1) So does this “accu mag” need specific chokes? I know the gun is overbored to almost a 10ga so stands to reason I have to run accu mag chokes only, but since I’m shopping, I’m asking.

(2) is there any ammo aside of slugs i cannot or should not shoot? Also, are my limitations only due to chokes. Also also, can/should i run with the choke removed for certain loads to prevent damaging them? (Or is that what full choke is)

(3) i bought this used from a gun store ive gotten many guns from. They sell good firearms with a 30 day wty, but they do not service or clean them so i need to knock off a little grim from inside the barrel and lube the gun. What types of cleaners are used for these? I typically use Hoppes cleaner + lube all in one then follow with Hoppes gun lube for my pistols. I’m not asking about brands specifically just kinds.

(4) this choke that came in it looks very thick walled to me, can you guess which one it may be?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
You need to do some reading on shotguns. Over bores, back bores and chokes are not too technical to understand. Chokes are for the most part, are model specific. Never fire a shotgun without its screw in choke tube. Most slugs will fire through any shotgun and choke. But they’re are ways to make them more accurate with the proper choke. There are after market chokes that extend beyond the barrel for different reasons. Google and YouTube have lots of information on chokes and shotguns in general. Cleaning isn’t much different than cleaning a pistol or rifle. Same supplies and basically same process.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
1. If the choke is listed as fitting the Mossberg Accu-Mag, you can use it. Other types won't fit.
2. Steel shot larger than #2.
2b. Shooting without a choke risks damaging the internal choke threads.
3. You're normal Hoppe's cleaner will work. There is no "special" cleaner or lube for shotguns.
4. If you remove the choke it "should" be marked on the outside of the choke.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Looking at your pics of that choke tube, you may have a tough time getting that one out. It’s a bit rusty. GET THE PROPER CHOKE TUBE WRENCH!!! Put some penetrating oil and soak it over night. If you bugger it up, you’ll be in for some expensive repair.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
BTW, Read the markings on the barrel.

It may state, "NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS". Mossberg has a specific slug barrel for the 835.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Those back bored model 835's are NOT to be used with slugs. Never shoot a shotgun that is designed for screw in choke tubes without a choke tube installed. When I had my 835 mine was the 28 vent rib barrel and I used the gun mostly for waterfowl, mainly geese. With a full choke it also patterned well as a turkey gun

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
1) Yes, you need to buy the chokes designed specifically for your make and model; that said, they do not have to come from Mossberg; Carlson's, Briley, Trulock and others all make chokes for your gun.
2) With a 3.5" chamber, your gun should be good to go with any type of ammo; NEVER shoot it without a choke in the barrel or you risk serious damage to the internal threads rendering the barrel pretty useless.
3) Any good solvent, followed by a brush and then patches will do the job.
4) Thickness of the choke means nothing; remove it using the wrench and see what it says on the side. Don't forget to clean and lube the choke threads and clean the threads inside the barrel before putting the choke back in.

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Not much to add read all the postings good advice. Let me reiterate get a good choke wrench and see what choke you have. My W.A.G. would be a full. Then you can decide what other chokes you may want to get. Chokes are brand and model specific but they may be interchangeable with other certain specific models.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
no experience with the 835 or any shotgun taking a 3.5" as i simply have no need for 3.5" shells.....
do not shoot without a choke tube in place.

download the manual from mossberg.....

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys heres Where i was aiming that cleaning question. I don’t want to initially blow through $30 of cleaner on the first cleaning. It needs some tidying up. I’ve been reading the back of my PB Blaster can and it says firearms. I will run the hoppes through it when done, but for the first major cleaning i wanted to run the PB through it. Shouldn’t be an issue, right?

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at your pics of that choke tube, you may have a tough time getting that one out. It’s a bit rusty. GET THE PROPER CHOKE TUBE WRENCH!!! Put some penetrating oil and soak it over night. If you bugger it up, you’ll be in for some expensive repair.
i’m hearing you say 11/16 socket
........check.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Thanks guys heres Where i was aiming that cleaning question. I don’t want to initially blow through $30 of cleaner on the first cleaning. It needs some tidying up. I’ve been reading the back of my PB Blaster can and it says firearms. I will run the hoppes through it when done, but for the first major cleaning i wanted to run the PB through it. Shouldn’t be an issue, right?

View attachment 116830
I use PB at times, WD-40, and anything similar as a solvent

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
i’m hearing you say 11/16 socket
........check.
View attachment 116831
NO......get the damn wrench - you use something like that, especially putting it back in, and you stand a good chance of crossthreading

Personally, I would also pick up an IC and a M choke to go with the F; that should cover most hunting scenarios

Reactions: Mike Weber

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I think that gun was a turkey hunters gun. If the only choke you got was a full. The tool you made is risky but I guess it worked. Get a real tool. After you do your cleaning, go out and get it dirty with different types of shells and see what works. Some autos are finicky.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NO......get the damn wrench - you use something like that, especially putting it back in, and you stand a good chance of crossthreading
who the hell puts a choke in with a wrench? You need a better choke if it doesn’t screw in and out with no resistance IMO. It just threads in. .....and this isn’t a magic wrench. It’s 4 square prongs. What i lack in shotgun knowledge i make up for in years of making 4 prong devices. 😂

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
When you install a choke use anti-seize on the threads.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
but really, what really irritates me about this shotgun is the SLIGHTLY offset barrel from the stock. I’ll be checking into that.

edit: to clarify it goes right.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When you install a choke use anti-seize on the threads.
definitely. Looks like it could be annoying if seized up. This choke fits like an expensive watch. Spins in by your fingers. I don’t know it’s reputation but this is the one.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Ok let me understand this. You make a wrench that takes out the choke tube. It works. We tell you that good but get a real one. You say we’re wrong. Ok does the one you made have a center guide so it can’t slide off? No. Oops. You just buggered it up. You don’t think it needs to be lubed. Ok, your gun. I guess the give or take 300 years of experience telling you other wise is wrong. Ok. Then you see that the barrel offset. Like the stock isn’t straight with the barrel? Better come up with your own idea about that. If you were the type who listens I’d say that’s the “cant” of the gun that good shotguns have. Some makers even include wedges to adjust the cant. You go ahead and straighten it out. You know better.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
who the hell puts a choke in with a wrench? You need a better choke if it doesn’t screw in and out with no resistance IMO. It just threads in. .....and this isn’t a magic wrench. It’s 4 square prongs. What i lack in shotgun knowledge i make up for in years of making 4 prong devices. 😂
You obviously know nothing aboutn shotguns, came here to ask, don't like the info that those of us with decades of experience give you and then you whine about it. If you do not tighten the choke tube with the wrench it will start to come loose. It doesn't take much, but if it loosens just a tad, the wad catches the skirt of the tube adn you're buying a new barrel.....but please feel free to do it your way. Perhaps, though, you should RTFM..............just sayin'.......

Reactions: Mike Weber and Wag
1 - 20 of 26 Posts