National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad gave me this gun nigh on 20 years ago. Well 50ish years ago I severely over tightened the take down screw resulting is a cracked stock. I think I got the last remaining 83B,D stock Numrich had in inventory (wheeeww). When I received the stock I hoped the inletting was the same, bingo, spot on! I think it is made of cherry as it has a red tint and is very tight grained.
The fore stock on the 83B & 83D is almost 1/2" deeper so some alteration was necessary to use the original take down screw. I used an 11mm end mill to deepen the hole for the brass knurled 'keeper' (it has internal 1/4-28 threads to captivate the TD screw) then I over bored the hole for the head of the TD screw to 11/16ths. with a router bit plunged in.
The old stock had darkened considerably, ofc as I applied boiled linseed oil some 50 years ago. I stained the new to me stock with 2 coats of Cabot Sedona Red and 2 coats of walnut. I tried a 3rd of walnut but it entirely hid the pretty much featureless grain so I removed it. I'm now on my 3rd coat of Tru-oil and it's starting to look pretty nice.
The gun sold for a whopping $6.50 in its time so checkering, even pressed in was out of the question. Sooooo, I am going to try my hand at checkering it both at the grip and fore stock. I should have taken pictures from the get go, but I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
The B/D also uses a molded (ABS or Bakelite) trigger guard (Bingo- saved by eBay!) the 83 just a formed piece of sheet metal. I also bought a couple of trigger springs one from each B&D models, none were available for the 83. The original spring fires somewhere in the 3 to 4 Oz. range, I'm hoping one of the 2 springs will get it to at least 2.5lbs. and will drop test OK.
The front bead is also broken off so I need about a 2mm gold bead to epoxy in place, parts are near impossible to find and go for a premium for this low end shotgun. Even complete 83's are hard to come by. Ohhh, the blueing is OK just a bit of rust near the muzzle end as usual. I'll start taking pics from this point forward. If you got all the way through this monologue, thank you.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Sounds like a nice project. Looking forward to the pics. One tip on posting. Break long post down to paragraphs. :thumbsup:

·
AZHerper
3,735 Posts
Congrats on the project! Sounds like you're making great progress. I'll look forward to the pics. BTW: 1936 is the year that I was born so I'm as old as the shotgun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts