National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm working on a buddy's Mossberg 500 AT Pump 12ga., 30+ years old. He claims that once a round is loaded in the chamber with the bolt closed, that as soon as he flips the safety off, the gun will fire immediately without a trigger pull. Very strange, i did a few dry runs of priming the firing pin and flipping the safety on and off, but never heard the firing pin actually go off. It will dry fire normally with a trigger pull, but I was wondering if this is even possible with older Mossberg 500 models? I took everything apart and it all looks good to my knowledge. Going to take it out to shoot and see if i can replicate the problem, but I cant see how the safety switch could possibly activate the firing pin and make a round go off. Anybody ever heard of this problem with 500s? Any info on the gun would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: took it home and failed to replicate the problem, I think he must be doing something wrong or unable to explain what the problem is. Seems to me like a perfectly operational shotgun

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Something to keep in mind. The Mossberg 500 safety is THE weak point on the shotgun. If something is gonna fail, its gonna be the safety. Its a relatively easy job to change it out to an all metal safety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts