National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from all those who own Mosins. How many do you have, what models, what is your opinion of them?

I own a 91/30 vintage 1938 with matching serial numbers. It is a blast to shoot...literally!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my dad got one for a steal from a lady. she ordered it out of shotgun news. it was a caliber she didnt want so she sold it to him dirt cheap. i think it was about 79 bucks. i only put 3 rounds threw it but its in damn good shape.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a mosin-nagant M38, Its nice but the wood stock is feels like a 2x4 and I dont like the synthetic stocks. BIg fireball when you shoot it :---

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've got a 91/30 made in 1939 - was rearsenalled and a 44 made in 1946 - new. I've put 10 rounds through each. I had to have them because they were so darn cheap. 91/30 cost $89 and the M44 cost $105. Ammo is cheap and plentiful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got two, a MN-91 made in the good old USA somewhere around 1915. It went through the the Fin. rehab system because it has the SA stamped on the receiver, o yes it was made by New England-Westington in Savage or Stevens facility using tooling furnished by England. These are not English Contract guns The bolt is forced match.
The second was made in 1947 and is a MN-44. It was in new condition, stored in East Germany (stored in 55 gal drums I think) All parts are orginal except magazine which was either damaged or had rust on it. I messed up and refinished the stock because it had a lot dings and paint was coming off.
Cost of MN-91 39.95, Cost of MN-44 42.50. Those were the good old days. The Rose's department store sold quite a few. We would line up (a hundred or more) One line was for ammo and the other to get your rifle. Ammo was 2.99 or 3.99 for 20. AP was 4.99.

0. The magazine was replaced prior to storage because it was damaged or may had some rust on it. All other parts are orginial. It looks new except stock which had many dings. I messed up and refinished the stock. It took me a week to clean it up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 91/59 and a 91/30.
Like both, but the 91/59 has about twice the recoil and noise as the 91/30.
But I can get a 4 in grp. at 100 yds with iron sights and wolf 200 gr ammo
with the 91/59. Haven't tried the 91/30 at that distance yet.
just me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard that 91/59 was made to keep satalite armorys busy. They took MN 91s, and MN91-30 and cut their barrel down to 20 inches and one's with round receivers may be mistaken for MN-38.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be nice to know exactly why they were made/modified. to what they are.
Most I hear say, it is cloudy as for the reason.
Most think they needed a short rifle, so they take some of the long ones, which they had plenty,
rather than go all the way with a new set up.
Makes sence.
just me :---

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is the info I got on the 91/59s from a dealer who imports them: they are WW2 era guns that were in good shape except for the muzzle rifling. Many were training or barracks rifles and continuous over cleaning resulted in oval bores at the muzzles. The solution was to cut the barrels back to good rifling and install upgraded sights, then put them in storage as home land defense back-up guns. Now being released for cash flow. ?????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 2 ... an Octagonal M91/30 built in Izhevsk dated 1933 :mrgreen: , and a M44 built in Romania in 1954, with matching numbers :) I paid $49 for each of them, circa 2000

They are a blast to shoot !

:---
Deadcenter
:ugeek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got an old M44 knock around that is a great desert shooter ... and I've been meaning to get the old Czarest crested 91. I've always liked dated things and those unscrubbed Czarist Mosins are.
:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an M44 I bought this week made in 1945 so it's two years younger than me. It's pretty clean except for the cosmoline (took a lot of time to clean it all out). I have ordered ammo that I hope gets here nest week. Great looking and feeling gun...just heavy.

Dave :i:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
dgray,
When you first fire your MN44, keep it good tight to your shoulder, wear your sunglasses and hold on! You'll love the blast, flash and recoil if using East Bloc milsurp ammo. Enjoy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I received my ammo this week and was too excited to open the big can of mil surp so I used a box of privi. I set up at a 50 yd measure with a bulls eye target in the center and two water filled milk jugs about 3' on each side. I had my ear muffs and a shooting jacket that has a built in pad. I did my shooting sitting on a piece of cardboard on the ground. The first one (iron sights) went next to the red bull, the next was in the black close by the third took out one milk jug. Wow! I got up to inspect my work and then went back to shooting. I tried the target several times then the right jug at least three time. Couldn't hit it!!~ I went up and looked and I was pulling left. I went back and thought. Hmmm. I had been working more and more of my finger into the trigger so I was pulling with the joint. I pulled it back out to use the pad and the right milk jug disappeared. The rest of the shots went into the black of the target (no red, but I was happy!).

If was probably loud but with the ear muffs and the pad, who knew? I love it!

Dave :i:

·
Registered
201 Posts
91/30 Tula Arsenal, can't remember what year. I managed to fire 5 shots through it before I went in for a total knee replacement, and didn't even hit paper at 100 yards. Was going to shoot at closer range to figure out where she was hitting, but all of a sudden a blizzard moved in and they closed the range. Now recovering from surgery, so I'll have to wait till spring.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Was the knee replacement due to shooting the Mosin-Nagant? You're supposed to hold it against your shoulder???????? LOL!
Hope the knee went well, I know a couple folks that are very happy they went through the surgery. They say it's like a new lease on life. My left knee's beginning to sound like velcro opening when I bend it really deep.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Like I said, only one. But if and when my C&R License comes, look out!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts