National Gun Forum banner

Mosin-Nagant Questions and Help

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Fixit 
#1 ·
Hello NGF, I have a few quick questions.

I stopped in at my local gun store recently and was checking out their new shipment of Mosin-Nagants. I have done a ton of research on them the past few days. I have a long list of what to look for and what to avoid so far. I know bore condition is the number one thing that matters when looking for a shooter. I hear all these things about counter-bores and headspace. So I guess my first question is... What are the main, most critical things to look for in one of these rifles when I am about to buy one? If you can elaborate even further hen just that, it will be much appreciated. Please don't send me links to wikis or guides as I have read tons and tons of them.

Thanks all, Eyz

#2 ·
First off, counter bored can be a good thing. It means that the arsenal that refurbed the rifle has repaired the last inch or so of bore that was damaged, usually from over aggressive cleaning rod action. second, I would not worry too much about headspace. These rifles were refurbed at Russian arsenals over the years and the headspace is going to be allright. I own about 30 of these things right now and headspace has never been an issue. You can spend the money on gauges if you want, but (my opinion only) I would spend that money on ammo and go shooting! My best shooter has one inch of counter bore. I would look for a bright shiny bore with good rifling and not much else.

#4 ·
If you are collecting them, then the years may or may not matter to you. For shooters, it doesn't matter at all. My best shooter is a '43 Ishvesk with a counter bore and the ugliest looking stock you've ever seen. 43's are the most common because the Soviets made about 4 million of them in that year alone. I'm willing to bet that you can't have just one Mosin...they multiply like rabbits.

#6 ·
Take a minute and check out The Truth About Guns | Exploring the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of guns and look up "Ralphs guide to buying your first Mosin". EVERYthing you need to know is in there. Also, in light of what is happening in Russia right now, if you find surplus ammo for under $100.00 a can, buy it cheap and stack it deep. They probably won't be importing any more in the near future, so get it while you can. Welcome to the addiction!

#10 ·
Many years ago, I was at a local gun show. A vendor was selling Mosin-Nagants for $128 apiece. They were in the original packaging, I believe it's called 'Cosmoline'. Basically, coated in thick grease, wrapped in gauze, and dipped in paraffin wax.

It didn't look like that was a great deal. The gun stocks -- he had samples not in Cosmoline -- looked like they were made of cheap pine wood. The Mosin-Nagants also took a very strange round to shoot with, and the people selling ammo for those critters were asking about $1.50 a round. And this was a number of years ago, years and years before Obama and the 'ammo shortage.

Well, so I didn't buy. I'm still wondering if I should regret that.

But I find comfort with my DPMS LR-308 which is very nicely customized.

#8 ·
Right now. It's as high as I've ever seen it. Luckygunner has 'em for 98.50 a can + shipping. Thats as good as it's gonna get now, for the surplus stuff. And I'm pretty sure that once they run out, there won't be anymore for a long time. Don't be afraid to shoot surplus; it is corrosive, but all that really means is clean your rifle as soon as your done shooting. Don't lay it in the corner and get to it later. You will regret it. Just flush it with warm, soapy water (the bore and bolt face) and then clean like you normally would. I'ver been shooting these for over 20 years and never had an issue.

#9 ·
Everything he said is correct------- my best shooters are a Romanian produced M44------made in 1955. I also have a Finn made M33 (I believe that's the designation) ---accurate as heck. And he brings up a good point about ammo- stock up now.

#11 ·
Were they collectors pieces you were looking t? Mosin Nagant rifles did not hit the 100 dollar mark until somewhere before or in 2011. Where the craze for them started to catch on. Before that they were 80 dollars rifles and much lower. Seen them years ago for 65 dollars, talking easy 10/15. Now they are hitting 120 and up, seen a few going for 200 just they were collector items or rare Mosins.

Surplus ammo tins were starting to hit around 79 or 80 dollars then too, which is when I started looking itno the ammunition for it. Now ammo tins are hitting 90 plus dollars and I have seen them go for 120 dollars, since this russian ban took effect. Before the Mosin craze you could have picked up a crate of surplus 7.62x54R for 90 dollars, from what I'm told.

AIM Surplus still has some good prices for surplus Mosin Nagants and the 7.62x54R surplus ammo. I will say I do see few 7.62x54R ammunition going for a lot just these cartridges are rare cartridges or collectors items. I have a few of these cartridges I picked up years before, without knowing, and would not get rid of them even for two dollars a round :)

Reactions: olhippy
#12 ·
First and for most.....It is a great shooter I have 2 a 91-30 and the carbine both take different rounds the 91-30 is rim fire and the carbines center.....both are 7.62 x 54r.......No problems with either hope u enjoy.....

#14 ·
A rim fire Mosin?????????? Ya lost me Steyr Man---never heard of such.

#21 ·
yeah he lost me too. It's a RIMMED cartridge. All Mosins shoot the same ammo (okay, there are about .001% that don't). Judging by the amount they built in 70 years, and the billions of rounds they produced and stored away, it should be the most common gun on the planet.

#15 ·
I have a 1934 Mosin
About 3 mos ago I was able to split a case (2 spam cans) of 7.62x54R with a friend. We got it for $90 each and free shipping.
I think once the idiot in chief is out of the White House, ammo availability and price will get better.
Hopefully the new president will do away with the ban on Russian imports of ammo and rifles

#16 ·
Dear Leader's ban on Russian imports has nothing to do with hurting Russia, it's about another backdoor step towards gun control. How can banning a $100 rifle built 60+ years ago, hurt the Russia economy???

Reactions: FREEDOMRING
#17 ·
#20 ·
yeah Finnish are supposedly better, as they took what the Russians built and improved on it. Better triggers, better accuracy and that beautiful pne tar finish on the stocks.

#22 ·
Well inspecting a Mosin's bore is just about impossible with all the dang cosmoline the goop on it. If your lucky it won't be to bad. I know when I bought mine the guy lauged at me when I asked him if they could clean the bore for inspection. After twenty minutes and a bunch of paper towels I could finally see good enough to know it looked good to go. If your worried about head space get the gauges. I didn't, I relied on feel and haven't had any problems.

You should figure out what you want it for before you buy one. If it is for show get a fancy one. If your looking for accuracy or hunting at distance you may want to check out the sniper models or one that has been modified with aftermarket parts. If your just looking to put holes in paper or cans get the generic cheap ones and a can of surplus ammo. Most importantly have fun! It is a kick in the pants to shoot a Mosin, mine comes with me everytime I go to the range :D

#23 ·
You can decent accuracy if you take the time to set your rifle up correctly. I can get 1-1/2" groups at 200 yds with all but one of my rifles. I added nothing aftermarket (modifying a milsurp just goes against my grain) The thing I've noticed the most are the action screws coming loose after about 10 rounds; either check them often or add some lok-tite to keep them tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.