National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone has an answer for this!

I have a mosin nagant carbine (im pretty sure its an authentic soviet production model) and the bolt will sometimes slide completely out of the receiver without holding the trigger down. The gun fires fine, but this bolt problem is annoying. I suspect its a crappy spring somewhere, because obviously the bolt is not catching on the sear.

Any thoughts/answers?

· Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine but it is an easy fix. First let me ask this, when you close the bolt does the gun fire?

If so than it is the sear which you can purchase for only $5 online. i had the same problem with mine where the trigger was "floppy" and the bolt wouldn't catch. i took it completely apart to find out that someone removed the sear.

· Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine but it is an easy fix. First let me ask this, when you close the bolt does the gun fire?

If so than it is the sear which you can purchase for only $5 online. i had the same problem with mine where the trigger was "floppy" and the bolt wouldn't catch. i took it completely apart to find out that someone removed the sear.
I almost forgot. I don't believe there are any springs in this rifle but the sear acts as a spring and supports the trigger. Ill be happy to post pics of the internals if needed and the website i bought my sear from.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it still fires just fine when the bolt is closed- shoots like a champ! But yeah mine has that floppy trigger thing going on too, then the bolt just slides right out.

$5 fix eh? that's great! If you could post the website that would be awesome, and the pictures would be helpful too. Thanks man!

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar problem with mine but it is an easy fix. First let me ask this, when you close the bolt does the gun fire?.
I have one more question. My friend also has one of these rifles, but its a knockoff model (i think yugoslav- its got a yellow looking wood stock). His problem is that when he closes the bolt, it doesn't fire. In fact it wont fire anymore at all. We were in the woods one day shooting and then his just stopped working all of the sudden and wouldnt fire anymore, and still wont to this day. When he returns the bolt, the cocking mechanism (or the ridiculous safety on the end of the bolt) will go forward and not stay cocked, and the trigger wont reset.

Any advice on that?

· Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like the same problem. with mine the bolt didn't necessarily fall out but i had to yank it out which took quite a bit of leverage and me squeezing the trigger for dear life. i sounds like the bolt isn't catching on the sear similar to all the problems before. id make sure that sear is T..I..T...tight and still good. all you do is take out the bolt and see if the two squares go down when you pull the trigger....like my first pic on my last post.

· Registered
27 Posts
i almost forgot, once you put in the new sear make sure that the firing pin is adjusted right also. It's kinda a *****, when you have it too far out it wont be strong enough to set the shell off, but if its too far in the firing pin will knock a hole in your shell. it should be tight but not too excessive. hope everything was helpful. let me know if it works out good

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just fixed it! And you know what i dont even think it was the sear. When I took it apart I noticed the screw that was connecting the big end of the sear to the upper receiver wasn't tightened all the way. I checked out the old sear and it looked fine and didnt show any signs of excessive wear, but I went ahead and replaced it with the new one anyway and made sure that the screw was tight this time. Put it back together and tried to duplicate the problem but it wasnt happening! The bolt doesnt fall out anymore and now I notice that the trigger pull is a whole heck of a lot stronger. Thanks for all your help man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.