National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any tips or sources they could give me on how to re paint or re blu a mosin nagant. Ive never done anything like this to any gun before so any infromation will be helpfull. So far I have cut the barrel installed an ATI bolt handle and stuck the Barrel and action in a new thumhole stock I got from boyds. Im new at the amature gun smithing stuff so if you have any additional knowledge send it my way.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Brownells has the BEST in my humble opinion aresol gun bake on gun finish. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. If you improvise or get lazy the rifle will look like crap. I recently did a custom .219 Donaldson wasp with the semi gloss black spray. I couldn't be happier with the results. I have been rescueing and building custom guns for about 40 yrs. Always in the past I did the Hot Salts Blue finish. This aresol is faster, cheaper, tougher, and looks great. The donaldson pictures are listed on rifle pictures by Dianne for me. Any flaws in the finish are my fault.

·
Banned
632 Posts
WHY?? Why would anyone want to 'sporterize' a piece of history like that? Anything you do to change the looks of it will do NOTHING to improve accuracy. I've bought dozens of these fine rifles and could not imagine doing anything to alter them in any way other than a good cleaning. If you want a Mosin with a scope then buy a PU or a PE sniper. You made a beautiful piece of history into a worthless piece of junk....shame.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,084 Posts
His rifle, his choice.

Besides, millions and millions of 91/30s were made. Anyone changing theirs from original helps make your original worth more.

·
Banned
632 Posts
His rifle, his choice.

Besides, millions and millions of 91/30 were made. Anyone changing theirs from original helps make your original worth more.
Agreed. But the end result will always fall short of ones expectations. That rifle will never be a tackdriver in any configuration. The best I've ever gotten was a 3" group at 200 yds with open sights and thats with the rifle locked in a vise. Instead of all that add on stuff spend the money on a new Remington 700 and be done with it...but to each their own.

·
55,084 Posts
Brownells has the BEST in my humble opinion aresol gun bake on gun finish. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. If you improvise or get lazy the rifle will look like crap.
In my humble opinion, this is the truth

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Popeye if it wasn't the best I found it WOULDN'T be on that custom Martini Humpback .219 Donaldson Wasp. All I did was follow directions.... the second time. That stuff is very hard to remove without a Baldor wheel.

·
55,084 Posts
:biggrin5:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WHY?? Why would anyone want to 'sporterize' a piece of history like that? Anything you do to change the looks of it will do NOTHING to improve accuracy. I've bought dozens of these fine rifles and could not imagine doing anything to alter them in any way other than a good cleaning. If you want a Mosin with a scope then buy a PU or a PE sniper. You made a beautiful piece of history into a worthless piece of junk....shame.
Who said it was for looks? In my opinion a rifle that is comfortable to shoot is one that will be more accurate. Not to mention I used a gun that has been over produced, so it wont even make a difference. You might as well watch me kill an ant and then get mad because ants are a beautiful part of this world. As for calling a gun you've never seen a piece of junk? It shoots and sends a projectile down range with no problem in a safe manner, doesn't sound like junk to me. I bet there are a lot of people who would agree to that. If it goes boom and shoots safely then its always a beautiful thing.

·
Military Rifle Collector
692 Posts
Just get some nice blue house paint and paint her up. You could paint the stock that way too. Maybe you could make it cammo. Or blue cammo. That would look sharp on that rifle Im sure.

·
Banned
632 Posts
Who said it was for looks? In my opinion a rifle that is comfortable to shoot is one that will be more accurate. Not to mention I used a gun that has been over produced, so it wont even make a difference. You might as well watch me kill an ant and then get mad because ants are a beautiful part of this world. As for calling a gun you've never seen a piece of junk? It shoots and sends a projectile down range with no problem in a safe manner, doesn't sound like junk to me. I bet there are a lot of people who would agree to that. If it goes boom and shoots safely then its always a beautiful thing.
Don't need or want to see it to know what it looks like...another Frankenmosin. I actually have one that I bought for $25...thats all it is worth. Not worth even the sum of the cost of all the parts. And anything done to these to improve the looks just makes it look worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^ If it bugs you so much why not just ignore this post it's his gun and if he wants to mod it to his liking then let him, you're not going to shoot it or even see it in person. I've seen some sporter jobs that make it look good only time I get annoyed is when people do it to rare guns, which the Mosin Nagant is not.

·
Banned
632 Posts
Maybe it's rare and maybe it's not...he didn't say which particular one he had....which aresenal and which year. If it's a '43 Ishevsk, go for it. The one I bought was a '41 Tula which is almost the holy grail of Mosin Nagant rifles...they made less than 100,000. 1941 was the year the German Army bombed the hell out of their factory and they had to constantly relocate to keep up production. Unmolested that rifle would get around $800.00 but becuse the barrel was cut it's worth crap. I'm betting this guy did no research to see what he had, just saw it as a 'cheap' gun he could play gunsmith on. But, I'm happy to say, chopping barrels and painting steel does not a gunsmith make.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your right I did no research all I know is that the gun is from 1942 thats all I know. Not to mention I had no intention of ever selling the gun anyway. I buy my guns to keep them. I don't care if the gun is new or old or rare.I couldn't care less about that. Its not worth crap, maybe to you it is, but to me it's not. You keep your "unmolested". Just to make you happy Ill buy another mosin and clean it up and see if any of the museums in town want it since the guns are so rare to you.

·
55,084 Posts
Your right I did no research all I know is that the gun is from 1942 thats all I know.
I know of no 'rare' 91/30 Mosin Nagants manufactured in 1942.

I say again. His rifle. His choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So all these kits you guys mention like birchwood casey and brownells, do they also tell you how to strip the old paint or is that just common knowledge I dont know about :)

·
Banned
632 Posts
So all these kits you guys mention like birchwood casey and brownells, do they also tell you how to strip the old paint or is that just common knowledge I dont know about :)
The Birchwood Casey comes in a kit with everything you need. Follow the directions to the letter and you should be good to go. It works best if you just use it to touch up here and there, not so well if you try to re-blue the whole thing. For that you'd want a gunsmith to hot blue it, or a machine shop will do it, if you call around. Parkerizing is another option; again, use a machine shop for that. I had one of my old shotties parkerized and it looks damn good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts