National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a bipod that is NON invasive and keeps Mosin Nagant's originality. I believe a device that could be mounted OVER the front wood stock without interfering with the cleaning rod or having to remove it would be great. Now we have 3D metal printers to help make this possible. I am researching the possibilities of a picatinny rail device to attach to the rifle and then to a bipod

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Install one of those, and you'll be doubling the value of the rifle, at the same time. There's lots of bipods with universal mounts. You could always use some padding on the wood, or barrel, if you are worried about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment.
I had bought a bipod 2 weeks ago. When it came in the mail, I realized why it was $20. The legs are sturdy but the adapter picatinny is not quality so I put it on my AR15. It works great for the AR15. But as I studied the design of this new Bipod picatinny adapter, I could envision adapting this for the Mosin Nagant 91/30.

The 1st picture shows the part that attaches to the Bipod legs and to a barrel. If this part were 3/8 longer each side for the top in the picture, it could be used for the Mosin Nagant. As you see the "V" shaped center, that would allow the Cleaning Rod to stay in place and still be utilized. And NO holes would ne needed to be drilled in the front wood stock.

The 2nd picture is bottom view and Picatinny attachment. If that dimension were 1 inch longer, than that would make the attachment to the Mosin Nagant very sturdy. I am researching 3D metal printer services in hopes that this idea could be made in the form I described.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Aim true !
12,422 Posts
My Mosin is due for some range time. To cold recently to enjoy an outing.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Try Mark Kubes, of BuyMilSurp.com, in Largo, Florida. (Down by Saint Pete)

This dude forgot more about military gear than most of us know. He's got a website, or call him, directly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mosin Nagant 91/30
After all this down time my brain wouldn't shutoff. After a complete Saturday, I designed a clamp from 1/8 aluminum flat stock. Cutting, bending, drilling/tapping and modifying I came up with a workaround mount for a Bipod using a picatinny rail mount to the Bipod. I think, this next week I will try to find a local iron/steel fabricator to bend some steel or Stainless for my Fab idea. This idea leaves the Mosin Nagant in it's original quality. No holes. Screws are brass and were leftover from a toilet job and I sacrificed my 8' straight edge for 8" for the clamp. Bent everything with a Bench vice and Vice grips. But the IDEA will work. Now, I'll take back a part and paint everything again.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
12,422 Posts
Nice work. I have one concern. I wonder if. it will ness with barrel harmonics?

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Nice work. I have one concern. I wonder if. it will ness with barrel harmonics?
It may but the wood and barrel bands already do that in most cases and on most military guns. Any military gun that has top wood, barrel bands, nose caps etc that sandwich the barrel(which is most of them) can and in most cases do affect the harmonics to some degree.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.