National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I live in New York... enough said.

I was looking to purchase an MSR back in November 2012 as an early Christmas present for myself but decided to put it off until the summer when I would be able to afford it more being a student and all. This was a big mistake for me. As we all know following the Sandy Hook shooting Gov. Cuomo quickly pushed an "Assault Weapons" ban. I have lived in a gun friendly home my entire life and have experience with guns, this will be my first gun but it won't be my first gun so to speak. So my question is what are some good alternatives to an AR-15 or Bushmaster that I can purchase since I can't own one in my state? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Ruger Mini14. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Without knowing the laws of the PRNY, it is hard for most of us to offer useful advice. However, I can think of several options.

1. Go to the local gun shop and talk to them. They probably DO know the laws and what your options are.
2. Move to some friendlier place, like Texas or Idaho.
3. Ignore the rules and get what you want. I of course advise against this since it is illegal.
4. Buy a legal bolt rifle, like, say, a .470 Nitro Express*. When asked why, tell folks who voted for the idiots who put the laws in place that since you can't have one of those dinky little .223s, you decided you needed a really big one so you only ever had to shoot a bad guy once.

* Cabelas has ammo for this on sale for about ten dollars a round. Down from $17.50 a round. :yikes1: To preclude the hoarders from taking advantage of the amazing low price, there is a limit of 5 boxes per order for this product.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Essentially any semi-automatic long arm with a detachable magazine that has a pistol grip is illegal. So I figured anything similar to an M14 with a full rifle stock is good to go. Is there any semi-automatic guns you know of with a full rifle stock?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I.m not exactly sure what the laws are in Ny right now but the savage 22 I picked up last week dosnt have any "assault weapon" cosmetics and I was told by the person working in the store it was sent down from new york because they cant sell it there anymore. So basically if the savage 64GXp auto with a 10 round mag is not allowed I doubt you could leaglly buy a ruger mini.

·
Super Moderator
14,628 Posts
There's a product called a "Wrist Rocket". It employs the use of two lengths of surgical tubing stretched from a wire frame and propels a projectile at tens of feet per second. It's single shot.

Alan

Reactions: Sheepdog762

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Since the PRNY now has, according to all news reports, a 7 round magazine limit, most of the autoloading centerfire rifles you might be interested in, such as the mini 14 or mini 30, may prove difficult. I would rather get an M1A if I was thinking along those lines, but again, 20 round magazine...

Again, my best advice is to go to the local gun store and talk to them.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
There's a product called a "Wrist Rocket". It employs the use of two lengths of surgical tubing stretched from a wire frame and propels a projectile at tens of feet per second. It's single shot.

Alan
Those are illegal in Illinois as I understand. LOL A friend says you also can not carry more than 4 oz of pepper spray or that would be considered crewel and unusual punishment.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Those rugers can be had with 5 round magazines

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Just off the top of my head.

Springfield, Inc. M1A with a modified magazine?

M1 Garand with a 5 round enbloc?

M1 .30 carbine with a 5 round magazine?

FN model 49 with a modified magazine?

Remington Models 750 - 7400 - 742 - 740 - 81 - 8?

Winchester Model 100?

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
M1 Garand out of that list would be awesome!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Saiga rifle version looks like a good choice I think, although I don't know how easy it would be for me to find it... Thanks for all the suggestions everyone might just have to settle for a lever action until I get out of college so I can move to a different state.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The M1 Garand 8 round enbloc then eject one round would be ok, if I remember the NY law 10 round or smaller mag is ok but no more then seven rounds in the weapon at a time.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The whole point of tacticool semi auto rifles is firepower! Since 'adult magazines' are banned in NY, and who knows what will be next - steel core ammo? 'Military calibers?' Heaven help us. Since it seems you're stuck there for the time being, might as well forget buying a weapon you won't be able to legally enjoy anyway and get a Marlin or Rossi lever gun in .357 Magnum. They hold the legal ammo limit, are great fun to shoot, and also make for effective short range hunting guns for deer and smaller critters. Also, a lever gun in the hands of a practiced operator is a very effective defensive weapon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think 8 rounds in an M1 is legal since the magazine is technically not external. I just wish the legal definitions of different features would be streamlined with the actual definition so gun owners and politicians are speaking the same language. Unfortunately this will never happen what with politicians still believing semi-automatic rifles are "Assault Rifles".

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
I think 8 rounds in an M1 is legal since the magazine is technically not external. I just wish the legal definitions of different features would be streamlined with the actual definition so gun owners and politicians are speaking the same language. Unfortunately this will never happen what with politicians still believing semi-automatic rifles are "Assault Rifles".
Don't kid yourself, they know exactly what an assault weapon is. These are very calculating people who know exactly what they are saying...

·
Registered
894 Posts
The magazine that comes with the Mini-14 is a 5 round, however because the firearm can accept larger magazines might be a problem. I don't know what the anti-gun freaks want any more than they do.

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
The SKS will still be legal in NY

1 - 20 of 32 Posts