National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked out of the house a few minutes ago ( it’s 7:45 PM ) and I see a raccoon looking at me for about 30’ away right outside the house. I really don’t like raccoons and since I have two Labs I don’t want them messing with a raccoon. They’re a pretty nasty animal when their pissed. So I go back inside the gun safe. This starts the problem. Ok which .22? I look at the Rossi 62 gallery gun and think eh, tube magazine…..better get one with a detachable magazine. I look at the AR15/22 and think nah…..better get the 10/22. So I grab the one that’s original with iron sights. I pop a few HP rounds and load up. I step out on to the porch and try to aim…….my left eye is real bad in low light. I shoot left handed. I was having a tough time finding the sights and raccoon head. I squeeze the shot and the raccoon ducks just a bit. Missed! Now I don’t want to piss off the neighborhood. I’m in the rural area but I have 4 homes near my house. So I figured I’d go get the other 10/22 that’s got the 3-9x40 scope. I dig out my green gun light and mount. ( a lot harder than it sounds) attach the light. Insert the mag and load the chamber. I set out the front door and I see he’s closer to the back door. So I go through the house and out the back door. I’ve got him dead to rights! My neighbor’s house is about to be a backstop. Nope. He runs up the massive oak near my driveway and we go round and round. I gave in and let him live but only because of the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to update this story:
I went down the road to my fathers house. He pretty much bed ridden now so I try to spend as much time as I can with him. I stayed from 8:00 till 9.30 and as I pulled back into my driveway, there’s the varmint raccoon still in my driveway under the big oak. He looks at me as I drive passed him from about 5 feet away. He’s just asking to get shot. I guess he’s eating some of the white oak acorns. Why here? I just don’t want the dogs to get into it with him. Doesn’t seem rabid but he’s a Ballsy SOB. Good sized too! If he’s here again, I’ll have to eliminate him.

We can’t have a suppressor here. We aren’t allowed to discharge a firearm within 300’ of any occupied dwelling. My closest neighbor is about 175’.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
Get yourself a good little dogleg 20 ga. Feed him a load of #4s and go back inside. When the cops show up run out in the driveway and start crying and carrying on that somebody shot your pet raccoon...

Alan

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It will not cycle a semi-auto but out of a bolt action it is more quiet than a pellet rifle-

Colibri= 420 ft per sec
Super Colibri= 590 ft per sec

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Get a live trap and then you can put him in any spot you want to get rid of him. Just be wary of where you put the trap, you don't want to get something like a skunk so put it where he has to climb to get in.

Reactions: GRBOU812

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Modern airguns are getting powerful and accurate.
This too! i have one that i think is rated at a 1000fps.....BUT raccoons don't die very easy, i have seen some take 3 head shots at point blank range from a .22.....Sheesh, censored again

Reactions: Stamps6

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
So to update this story:
I went down the road to my fathers house. He pretty much bed ridden now so I try to spend as much time as I can with him. I stayed from 8:00 till 9.30 and as I pulled back into my driveway, there’s the varmint raccoon still in my driveway under the big oak. He looks at me as I drive passed him from about 5 feet away. He’s just asking to get shot. I guess he’s eating some of the white oak acorns. Why here? I just don’t want the dogs to get into it with him. Doesn’t seem rabid but he’s a Ballsy SOB. Good sized too! If he’s here again, I’ll have to eliminate him.

We can’t have a suppressor here. We aren’t allowed to discharge a firearm within 300’ of any occupied dwelling. My closest neighbor is about 175’.
The 300' is a technicality. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Do they like antifreeze as much as dogs?
I don't know about that one but they will eat large amounts of rat poison with no ill effects. I had one accidentally get into some and he came back the next night for seconds and the following night for thirds. They get into the darnedest things if not properly secured and with their little paws they can even un-secure some things.

• Wow
Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
The other night I heard something having its way with the dog food barrel. I flipped on the lights and a big ol **** head popped up out of the barrel. He was long gone by the time I could get back with suitable armament to stop the looting. I move the barrel inside and set a live trap the next night and he waited until I went to bed to kick the trap around until the bait was gone. I'm just going to starve him out now. He'll move on if there's nothing to eat. At some point though, he will show hisself and that'll be that.

Alan

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
I once shot a opossum with a .22 AR over 20 times before it quit moving. Was the damnedest thing. I was begging to think he escaped from a lab somewhere. Big raccoon, .22 probably wouldn’t be my choice but in your situation, I’d take the AR just in case he don’t stop coming at you.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,341 Posts
IDK, I have different thoughts about squirrels, raccoons, etc. They clean up the yard of acorns, walnuts, apples, and such, without really hurting anything (except getting the dogs in a tizzy, when we let them out). If they become a nuisance, I'll get rid of them, otherwise, I mostly let them be.

Reactions: Caveman Jim and Wag

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Was noticing that we seemed to have more than usual and was thinking of getting out the pellet gun but the cats, hawks and owls seem to have moved in and taken a few out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts