National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not 100% sure where the correct place to ask about this is, but here seemed alright.

My grandfather left me with a Model 12 Winchester Shotgun Set, including the 4-10 and 28 guage. I've seen those 2 guns go at auctions from 6-9k, and am curious what a reasonable price to expect from the entire set. I'd say ot's about 75% condition, and all 26in barrels.

Thanks

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Sounds like you answered your question. Put em up on gun broker and see.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
When I run into a problem like this I do research on sites like Guns international. Most of the retailer sites a better site for the retail value. Auction sites are all over the board and not much help.
You might contact sellers like Lock Stock & Barrel in California. I have had years of experience buying parts and a few guns from them. They do not seem to be thieves. I would rely on them giving be an honest appraisal for any gun they handle for me.
The 410ga, 28ga. are the high dollar stand alone guns. The real trick is the various grades ie: Skeet, Trap, Diamond, Engraved, etc. Be very careful whom you have look at these old guns, lots of sharks out they trying to steal valuable guns.

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
Why! In the name of sweet baby Jesus would you consider selling something like that that your grandfather left you?

My opinion is that you should give the other heirs first refusal at a reasonable price.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
AND then only sell it to them if they intend to keep it and appreciate something like that. But you are correct in that the Model 42 and the Model 12 28 gage are the plums. 75% is not overly good but it is not bad either. Are you using an actual grading system or just guessing.

Alan

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I was forced, by divorce, to sell a similar set of Model 12/ Mod 42's, and a similar set of 870's about 30 yrs ago. The 20ga., 28ga., and .410ga. are in fact the core of the value. The 12 & 16 are the round out to make a complete set. It would be a sad mistake to sell or break the set up. If hey don't amen anything to the owner why not dump them on the market and go party.

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
I know. There are guns I have that were bought strictly for investment purposes. But, the guy who puts together a set like that did it on purpose and not on a whim. Keep them in the family and take the money and run.

There were guns that my predecessors owned that others in the family insisted that they had to have. I know they took those guns and sold them for whatever they could get. I would have loved to have had them and would have paid the same if not more for them.

Alan

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
When my father passed away his wife refused to give my fathers gun to me or my brother. One of her idiot neighbors told her the guns were worth big $$$. She never fired a gun in her life, and knew diddily squat about guns. I learned years later she sold the whole shebang for three or four hundred bucks. My brother had offered her a couple of thousand, at the time of dads' death, which she refused. Oh well love it when stupid people outsmart themselves.
BTW did you ever get that stock done on your Barn Find SxS? I gave the .17/.221 FB to my #2 sons wife. She can wrap me around her little finger and knows it. The way she puts it she now has four of my "Pretty Guns" in her collections.

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
Roy, I'm ashamed to say that i haven't. I have some excuses though (I don't know if they are reasons or not). With moving, shop building, driving all over Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Missouri getting the covid people hospitalized and buried, plus just the regular shenanigans that my bonehead progeny pull from time to time, I haven't sat down to do the inletting. I've been waiting until I don't have anything else to distract me because it is way to pretty a piece of wood to screw up by being in a hurry.

Alan

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I can relate to all of the above. I spent four months trapped at my brothers place in Austin. I got caught in the February to May lock down. It is a pretty chunk of lumber. My daughter in law lovers hers'. LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts