National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally invested in my first shotgun. I wanted to get something compact that would work well in a home defense situation. After conferring with a dealer I trust, I ended up going with the Shockwave 590M version (the magazine fed configuration). Here's where I started.
MVIMG_20191204_160158.jpg

But, this wasn't where I wanted the overall configuration to be. So, the following modifications were made:
  1. Top rail
  2. Holo sight
  3. SBA3 arm brace
  4. Front flashlight mount
  5. Light
  6. Ergonomic safety
After all that, here's where it landed. I'm pretty happy with it now. This configuration also keeps it non-NFA, non-AOW.
MVIMG_20191223_203817.jpg

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I like it! Bet it's a whole lot easier to use like that.

BTW when you have a mag on there is the tube still usable as well? Would be cool if you could fill the tube and when the mag is empty you can feed from the tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The end product appears much more manageable than the "original". Good job.
Yeah. With the original grip in particular, it feels sort of like a spray and pray kind of gun. And this is the 12ga version, so it has a pretty good kick. That's just not a safe way to go about home defense IMO. Now it's something I'm confident grabbing and knowing exactly what the plan is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW when you have a mag on there is the tube still usable as well? Would be cool if you could fill the tube and when the mag is empty you can feed from the tube.
Unfortunately, no. The tube is effectively functionless, aside from the mag tube cap still being responsible for holding the barrel on. It's just empty and hollow inside though, and the receiver has the magazine release pinned in where the tube would otherwise feed in. Theoretically you could use it to hold some extra shells in a pinch, but I have both 10 and 20 shell magazines for it. If I'm in a home defense situation and go through even 10 shells, I'm probably already in trouble.

·
Aim true !
10,020 Posts
I like it. Question was it cheaper to mod than buying an AR style shotgun? I have a Stevens 320 for home defense. Like the one in the pic.
ygksocxr5tbxxakzmhlj__56575.1533151308.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. Question was it cheaper to mod than buying an AR style shotgun? I have a Stevens 320 for home defense. Like the one in the pic.
Probably not, though the mods aren't all that expensive. The most expensive piece was the arm brace at about $169. The holo sight is a cheap Chinese job (pinpoint accuracy isn't exactly a need for a home defense shotgun), and I already had the light. I paid $600 base for the gun, BUT, that deal included 6 of the 20 round magazines (no real reason on that, I think they were just getting rid of the stock so they wanted to make me a deal to take it all), some shells, and an accessory for another gun. So between the mags and other stuff, that by itself is roughly $500 in retail aside from the gun.

If we fudge the numbers, say I paid low retail at $350 for the gun, plus what I did to it, and I'm basically all in at about $628-ish.

But, what I am getting is a shorter gun with double (or quadruple with a 20 shell mag) the capacity, too. The 590M is nearly 4 inches shorter on the barrel than the Stevens. That's a much better length to move down hallways and around doors.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have no problem with anyone making modifications they like as long as it's legal. Their gun -- their money. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a gun specifically without a stock then adding one.

If you want to argue economics a Maverick can be had for less than $200. If you want a shorter barrel you could get one or saw it off yourself.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have no problem with anyone making modifications they like as long as it's legal. Their gun -- their money. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a gun specifically without a stock then adding one.

If you want to argue economics a Maverick can be had for less than $200. If you want a shorter barrel you could get one or saw it off yourself.

The reason for the shockwave is to legally have a barrel under the legal 18" law and. The shockwave has a 14" barrel but it's still 26" in overall length so it's legal as a "firearm"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason for the shockwave is to legally have a barrel under the legal 18" law and. The shockwave has a 14" barrel but it's still 26" in overall length so it's legal as a "firearm"
Right. The second you add a true stock to the Shockwave (which you most certainly can do), congratulations, you've created an NFA regulated SBS, and now you have to pay for an additional $200 tax stamp and run a bunch of paperwork on it. The arm brace doesn't qualify as a "stock" under the law, and no one is ever going to question if you shoulder-fired it in a home defense situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts