National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from a small town within a large city, I've always heard about militias throughout the country, but do not have a clue when it comes to how many there are, or how many members a typical militia has. Are there many militia's throughout the country? If anyone can provide some insight on militias, I'd really enjoy it!

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
The historical definition of Militia is the entire body of the population, being every male age 16 to 65.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
We have the largest organized "Militia" in the US... The Michigan Militia.

For several years it was led by some "not so nice" folks, which caused the majority of the membership to walk away many years ago. Since then, they've elected new leadership, and have gotten back on track.

Do a Google search on The Michigan Militia. You'll find the "good, bad, and ugly" on the largest Militia ever formed in the United States. It could be a good source to find the info you're looking for.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Yes, under United States law, all of us able-bodied men between 17 and 45 comprise the Reserve Militia of the United States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_(United_States)

Other militias exist, of course. None are quite alike. Carolyn Chute, author of several decent novels and a few others, even organized the VERY heavily armed "Second Maine Militia", whose primary purpose, it would appear, is to do battle with WalMart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The guys who dress up in camo and pretend to be citizen-soldiers don't really impress me personally. Most are massively fat, have never served, and have no military skill sets. Many subscribe to the fantasy that when something bad happens, the governor or whomever will come to them and ask them to step in and help maintain order/shoot looters/oppress minorities, etc. That's not going to happen.

Other pretend that the entire government, comprised of hundreds of thousands of elected officials and bureaucrats is getting ready to rip up the Constitution and create some tyranny which will be based on the power of the millions of civilian law enforcement officers and soldiers, sailors and airmen of our military (two of the most patriotic blocs of people that you'll find), and then the militia fat-bodies will engage and fight and ultimately triumph over this massive evil conspiracy, generally by killing American soldiers and police officers with their mosins and mausers and taking the "better" weapons and ammo from the dead, to include tanks and other things that the fauxboys have no idea how to operate.

In sum, the militia groups are good for laughs...at least until they actually start hurting people, as they've been know to do on occasion. Most are decent enough people by themselves--and they mean well--but they tend to talk each other into believing and doing some pretty stupid stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I have a militia living in my house, it's made up of me and my dog. We are prepared to destroy anyone that treads on us.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
The guys who dress up in camo and pretend to be citizen-soldiers don't really impress me personally. Most are massively fat, have never served, and have no military skill sets. Many subscribe to the fantasy that when something bad happens, the governor or whomever will come to them and ask them to step in and help maintain order/shoot looters/oppress minorities, etc. That's not going to happen.

Other pretend that the entire government, comprised of hundreds of thousands of elected officials and bureaucrats is getting ready to rip up the Constitution and create some tyranny which will be based on the power of the millions of civilian law enforcement officers and soldiers, sailors and airmen of our military (two of the most patriotic blocs of people that you'll find), and then the militia fat-bodies will engage and fight and ultimately triumph over this massive evil conspiracy, generally by killing American soldiers and police officers with their mosins and mausers and taking the "better" weapons and ammo from the dead, to include tanks and other things that the fauxboys have no idea how to operate.

In sum, the militia groups are good for laughs...at least until they actually start hurting people, as they've been know to do on occasion. Most are decent enough people by themselves--and they mean well--but they tend to talk each other into believing and doing some pretty stupid stuff.

It's nice to see someone that shares my thoughts! I really couldnt agree more. The thought that American Military would raise arms against the people is beyond ludacris. I have my militia, it's me, my family, and my guns. And if there were some huge ass "revelution" the majority of the people, and especially us in the gun community, would probably back each other up. I would hope so at least for us gun folks.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
It's nice to see someone that shares my thoughts! I really couldnt agree more. The thought that American Military would raise arms against the people is beyond ludacris.
In fact, to the contrary, the military (101st Airborne, specifically) has been used to counter threats by irresponsible state and local politicians to use law enforcement and national guard units (ordered federalized by Ike to avoid a military standoff) in defiance of a Supreme Court order touching on individual Constitutional rights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

I'd love to see the 101st called in by President Palin to enforce the Heller decision against Mayor Daley and his goon squads.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

Good post HFA,
Sounds like a pretty accurate portrayal of much of our so called malitias. I think they give the good responsible gun owners a bad name. I was just talking about this kind of stuff in a previous response to a post about "When are we going to act and stop whinning" Real dreamers with an axe to grind. They're alot like the extreme leftists who have lost their focus and better judgement from boredom and becomming over passionate about their beliefs, except that they're on the extreme other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately our media uses the far left as a platform to do their dirty work , and uses the extreme right malitia people as a depiction of us in the mainstream right as an example to push the middle further towards the left. I think the middle needs more media mouth pieces in the major media. Fox News is a start but they're not perfect either. We've got a long way to go to balance the scales and come even close to getting equal coverage of our viewpoints in the media in this country.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
They're alot like the extreme leftists who have lost their focus and better judgement from boredom and becomming over passionate about their beliefs, except that they're on the extreme other end of the spectrum.
Very true. The cranks on either end of the political spectrum are more similar than they imagine. But the militia types have a certain additional little twist. Their own lives are so dull and so meaningless that they have to invent an exciting, important alternate reality. What the ignorant fatbodies seem to come up with regularly is the "secret identity" of .... Constitution Man!

You see, when Tyranny rears its ugly head, Constitution Man will duck into his mother's closet, squeeze into his woodland camo superhero costume, grab a replica AR or AK, and dash off to fight the evildoers, saving the Constitution from the Neocons and the Liberals and theATF and the UN and the Federal Reserve Bank and something called the Communist Posse. Except, of course, he won't.

I don't like some of those supervillains much either, but there are ways of fighting those things, in court and in the city hall, today, for real. And of being a real superhero, in the real Armed Services. Constitution Man never gets around to any of that. He's too busy sneering at us from the folds of his stupid fat face, filled with disapproval and potato chip crumbs.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Down the road quite a piece, a local "Constitution Man" just recently got tagged by his own long-suffering wife:

http://bangordailynews.com/detail/95073.html

When I first heard the name and where he and his late father were from, I wondered if he was one of "those" Cummings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Down the road quite a piece, a local "Constitution Man" just recently got tagged by his own long-suffering wife:

http://bangordailynews.com/detail/95073.html

When I first heard the name and where he and his late father were from, I wondered if he was one of "those" Cummings.
An angry fat guy who liked to let the world know that he had guns and loved Adolph Hitler. No loss to the world.

But it coulnd't have been one of "those" Cummings (I assume you mean kin of Sam Cummings of Interarms fame). Sam only had two daughters, both crazy recluses who live in mid-Virginia. But his daughter Suzanne did shoot and kill her paramour a while back...and got almost two months in jail for the murder, a sentence that included unlimited visits by family and friends who brought her food so she wouldn't have to eat jail food. Also, all of the other female prisoners shipped out of the jail to other nearby counties.

I know one of the detectives who worked that murder. He's still mad that she skated. I keep trying to get him to give me her number so I could ask her out, but he won't. (hey, she's richer than sin, fairly attractive, and can't possibly hope to get away with killing TWO lovers.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts