3)Lee Enfield
4)M1 Garand
5)FAL
6)Kar98
7)AUG
8)Springfield 1903
9)STG44
10)M-14

Have almost all of these puppies but a few.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to what sort of criteria?

In terms of "classic design" there's the Mauser. Which is why there are all sorts of custom rifles built on Mauser actions.

The Springfield '03 is built on the Mauser action.

AK-47 is hard to beat for a battle rifle. 10 Zillion Muslim terrorists can't be wrong. AK has the AR-15 beat to death, on all sorrts of issues. Mostly caliber reliability.

M1A Garand -- and variants, like the M 14. Hot stuff.

Uzi Mod. 45 carbine. -- select caliber. Mod 45 Micro Pistol is the same gun in a smaller frame.

I'm gonna run way back in time: Springfield trapdoor, 45-70 Govt. Both the long rifle and carbine.

Winchester 1894 Carbine. Classic design. Marlin 1894 is hot too.

Galil rifle -- It's a classic. I'm not up to speed on this one.

That's about ten, more or less.

Mosin Nagent is "classic" . . . Not sure if it's a great design.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only reason the ak beat out the ar is cause those damn commies produced so damn many of them the weapon has killed more people than the plaque did

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leeindy said:
the only reason the ak beat out the ar is cause those damn commies produced so damn many of them the weapon has killed more people than the plaque did
Sore loser are we ;) I think Ak won because it is so simple and can be used even by a child

·
Registered
341 Posts
Gunny the Gun said:
leeindy said:
Sore loser are we ;) I think Ak won because it is so simple and can be used even by a child
That and its fantastic design and reliability. I do believe the AK deserves the number one spot. This is coming from someone who loves AR's and does not even own an AK.... yet. :D

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shouldn't the stg-44 be listed before the ak-47?...i mean this is the assault rifle that give kalashnikov the idea for the ak-47 even if he won't admit it! :D

and the lee-enfield over 03 or the garand ah c'mon!

and the kar-98 not chopped liver either!

m-16,a1,a2 m-4 et el should be at rock bottom!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of the ten I've got four, well, almost four, the AR15 almost don't count as a M16 but I'm countin' it anyway. I've got the AK, semi auto version (mabe it don't count either) the K98K Mauser, the M1 Garand (my personal favorite and it should have been no 1) and the newest, the AR15. :--- :--- :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, I saw that show and (grudgingly) had to agree about the AK vs. AR. But both Gunny & Sewerman are right. And Kalashnikov is either a liar or delusional -- AK copies the STG44 just like their end-of-war bomber copied the B-29, just like their space shuttle copies our space shuttle. The KGB and it's successor agency put as much emphasis on stealing industrial secrets as they do military secrets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The AK is a great gun and commie or not they have made like millions of the things si guess it deserves it but i reallythink the way that top ten show is setup is kinds flawed. I mean it had the sopwith camel biplane from WW1 as the best fighter ever, ahead of every fighter jet. I think they look at service length too much since the AR and the F-22 raptor are cetainaly better than their respective competition but are new which i dont think should a handicap. ALthough i must admit that the AK is still used and am sure that fact that it isnt american doesnt hurt my point of view either lol.

Tony

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
legotp456 is definitely correct about some of their rankings, especially with the Sopwith Camel. When I saw that, I didn't know whether to laugh or yell at the TV set! So I did both.

I sat around with some other gun nuts discussing the rankings of battle rifles and we could give a pretty good defense for any of the top three rifles to be number one. To some it seemed that the AK got the nod mainly because of its sheer numbers, as much as its innovation or longevity. By those standards I expect the Nambu or the Tokarev would be the number one semi-auto pistol! And the VW Beetle or the Toyota Corolla would be the #1 automobile...

...NOT!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
red-rider said:
I swear man, you couldnt give me an AK. Noway, Nohow.
I"m with you, Brudda -- They're nasty, UUUgly, and look more at home in the hands of a terrorist than a legitimate soldier...BUT...they're effective, simple, rugged, damn-near idiot proof, and available in umpteen configurations.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I cannot argue with that. Still dont want one. not even for free. Maybe if thats all that was available in case of SHTF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
red-rider said:
Maybe if thats all that was available in case of SHTF
It is my opinion that 7.62 will be more avalible when the SHTF, We sell 5 Ak's per one AR, The cheapness factor realy helps :|

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I do about 3:1 AKs to ARs, but they're viewed as cheap "toys", with the cheep factor much in their favor. Sort of like several yrs ago when we used to sell SKSs by the caseload.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
gunrnr said:
BUT...they're effective, simple, rugged, damn-near idiot proof, and available in umpteen configurations.
That says it all in a nutshell! I always find it so funny to see these men - sometimes only kids - running around in Africa, playing soldier with their AK-47's, and you just KNOW that there is no way they are taking care of their rifles. They are absolutely reliable, in so many scenarios, and I think that's why they made No. 1.

Personally - I have to have one. Not just any one, but I'll know it when I see it. Preferably an original Kalishnikov, not a east-european or chinese knock-off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SheNine said:
Personally - I have to have one. Not just any one, but I'll know it when I see it. Preferably an original Kalishnikov, not a east-european or chinese knock-off.
The only difference is the price tag, Those indochina knockoffs are just as great. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
SheNine said:
Where do I find a girl like you???? ;)

-Derek

1 - 20 of 62 Posts