National Gun Forum banner

Might be paranoid/Could use advice

3K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  Steyr Man 146 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am in charge of hiring and firing decisions in my workplace so occasionally pissing people off is an inherent part of my job. Most people we have to let go accept it without much (outward) fuss. However, maybe I have watched too much crime TV, but I always worry someone with a personal vendetta will come after me.

We have security in our building, but my worry is that someone could find out where I live and attack me, for example, as I come out of my house for work. I do conceal carry, but I figure that an attacker has the element of surprise and therefore a massive advantage. If he has a gun, he might very well be drawn before I even spot him. Carrying by myself does not seem to offer the full protection I would like.

It has occurred to me that to achieve the protection I would like and satisfy this gnawing fear, I would need someone else carrying with me. In particular, it would be optimal if during all my daily routines (walk from house to car, walk from work to car, etc.) that I would be carrying with at least one other person.

Now, I feel embarrassed to float this idea by any real life friends at the moment, so I am reaching out on the internet :lol:. Am I simply being paranoid in desiring this level of security for my level of risk? Would I seem ridiculous and unreasonable to perhaps propose the idea to a friend from a gun club to be essentially "carry partners"? And lastly, are there any ready made solutions to this problem that others have already thought of? Like (affordable) neighborhoods where there would always be either law enforcement, armed guard, or armed citizen within a quick responsive distance (less than a minute) that would dissuade an attack like this?

Sorry if I seem way over paranoid. I worry that I am going down a path where I'll never be satisfied by anything but physical invulnerability, but I just have this gnawing fear of being an easy target.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
less you are personally wealthy and can afford your own bodyguard, armor, and can dictate your living location....

1. training.....including situational awareness. A little paranoia is healthy.....a lot of paranoia is bad. The only person you can depend on 24/7 is yourself.......
2. change professions and get into something less stressful.........

#3 ·
Short of hiring 24/7 armed bodyguards I see no easy answer to your 'concerns'. 'Course, then you'd probably be worried about car bombs and drone strikes.

Realistically, how often do you hear about HR workers being targeted for death? I recommend you stop fretting and relax. You'll find life to be much more enjoyable.

#5 ·
Unless they pay you enough for around the clock private security, or the company will foot the bill, good luck with that.
Or you might get another with a carry license to carpool part way with. But, if your fears are well grounded, that would be put an innocent at risk. That is really bad Ju-Ju.
For us normal folks, it's called "situational awareness". Be aware of where you are, what and who is around you and what they are doing as much as possible.
Before you exit a building, look. Who is outside? Where? What are they doing? Do they belong there?
The best weapon and defense you have is your brain and a determination not to lose. Even heroes have fear. Quit letting it rule you and use it to your advantage.

There will not always be someone there to protect you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Listen to Popeye and deputy. You already have a carry permit and that should be sufficient. Although a little paranoia and worry my be justified in your case, excessive paranoia will just give you heartburn and sleepless nights. Relax! You're going to be OK. I know that a lot of people have told you this but...do you worry about being struck by lightning? Although your circumstances at work may have skewed the statistical odds a little, your chances of being shot by an irritated coworker are still close to that of being struck by lightning. So...relax! Hope to see you back on here and welcome to NGF from Arizona.

#7 ·
Let me properly frame this. A man sitting across the table from you owes 6 women child support and his current pregnant girlfriend is sitting next to him. You have to keep a straight face.

My son works for the State and goes after "dead beat Dad's", People who don't pay their child support obligations. He has from time to time been threaten and even had a man come across the table at him. The State only hires "rent O cops" but they are not armed, sorta unless in my opinion. He does have a CC but can't carry at work. He's been doing this for going on 10 years and hasn't had anyone come to his door yet and sometimes he really has to piss some folks off. Your building security folks should be your best friends and on your Christmas card list.

#8 ·
They say the path to true diplomacy lies in telling somebody to go to hell, in such a way, that they actually look forward to the trip. Have you done some research on
breaking the news of somebody's being let go gently? Simply make it a point not to alienate these people, on the way out the door, sometimes pointing up how uncomfortable
you are, doing this part of the job, helps them to understand you bear no ill will. Try, if you can, to be upbeat, and shake their hand, on the way out. It makes it harder for them to blame solely
you, and seek revenge.

You may also want to consider giving them some outs, such as information on sites hiring, schooling, and job programs in your area, and
with your state employment agency.

Bear in mind also, some folks want to be fired, in order to collect Unemployment, or for a variety of other reasons. So for many of these guys, you are probably doing them a favor.

I was a bit of a hothead, back in my day, (imagine that) but I was far more interested in getting back to work, than placing blame,
in the (quite a few) instances when I got fired.

#10 ·
Think of this, on average about 55,000 people(i just looked it up) get fired or laid off everyday in this country. How many go back and shoot up their work place? Yes anything can happen so go play the lottery, the odds of you winning are better than a disgruntled ex employee coming back for vengeance.

#14 ·
Well. This post presents a problem in the event that something does happen and you are involved in a violent confrontation with a disgruntled former employee. Make sure, in that unlikely event, you bring this to the attention of your attorney early so that you can devise a strategy for dealing with the post on an internet gun forum suggesting that you might be paranoid but are devising approaches to armed responses to potential people you fire. While I certainly hope you never have such a confrontation, it is important that you be aware that your post can, and if the prosecutor or the other party's attorney find it, will be used against you, and it will be problematic.

#15 ·
Never meet with someone about to be fired alone; you ALWAYS want a witness so there isn't a later court issue with a he said/she said type scenario. Make yourself the person telling the news, not the one who made the decision; show empathy and a willingness to help them transition.

If you can't handle the firing part - and 99% of supervisors and others in that position can't, look to use your skill sets in a different position.

#18 · (Edited)
Just curious, are you a female? Either way, take some classes in physical combat, learn how to defend yourself in Close quarters. Live in a gated community with security. Get some motion sensitive cameras installed all around your home. Check them all before you leave. Do yo have a garage? If so park in it so you aren't exposed. Lastly carry your gun in your hand when going to the car if your state allows or carry a tazor or pepper spray in your hand.

#20 ·
Don't make the firing personal. By the time somebody is being fired, they've probably got a pretty good idea it's going to happen. They've been written up, etc, etc, etc,...

So, do your business in a businesslike manner and move on.

Your job should not dictate your level of situational awareness. That should be high all the time these days.

Don't live in fear.

If you like your job or it is on the pathway of your career, then do it well and professionally. Finding out where someone lives is not that hard. We can likely tell you where you live..... so, carry on, keep your eyes and ears open and let other people be paranoid.

Alan

#21 ·
Eh I work Security I`ll be honest we are not really trained for it 2 I got wife and kids to want to go home at end of shift like you, 3 99% of Security is unarmed we are instructed to "OBSERVE and REPORT" in the many years I have been a Guard only 1 returned it was not for confrontation No One in H/R or Supervision informed them they were terminated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.