National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did no one start a Memorial day thread. I just watched the laying of the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a reflective moment of those that gave their lives for this country. Please take a moment just to reflect on the sacrifice of those no longer with us that gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives to keep us safe and free. I know some of us contributed in service to our country and was fortunate enough to return alive to derive the benefits. Many did not return those we remember and pay homage to on Memorial Day.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,865 Posts
In the Spring of 1965, I went to see the Marine Corps recruiter in downtown Allentown, Pa.
The war in Vietnam was just about to heat up....... and I was ready to join up. I was 20. My father had seen WWII close up. He was there from 1941 to 1945. He was a Captain in the 29th Infantry Division when he left the Army. He said that he was sure that there was a big bloody war heating up in Vietnam. He said that I should give it some time and some thought. I was his only child. I thought for a couple of months and in August of 1965 I joined the Navy for four years. I stayed away from the war, not of my own choosing, but because the Navy never sent me to a war zone in those four years. I was lucky, I listened to my father.
through the years I have considered that he probably saved my life. He passed away in February of 1988.......................Today, Please Remember The Fallen.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much of a celebration with this whole corono virus mess going on. Rather than worrying about death and waiting for it to come and get us we should be celebrating life. Living life the way it was meant to be enjoyed. That's what some of us died for.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Went to Lowe's today for another flag pole for my incoming gadsden flag. They took one of the parking spaces reserved for cpmbat vets and made it into a memorial display, complete with the helmet upside down, etc.....VERY cool and awesome on their part

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,230 Posts
never been about celebrating for me,,, I remember and salute the dead, I do not celebrate their demise

·
Registered
507 Posts
We do not celebrate their death. We celebrate their life and sacrifice to all of our Freedoms. We celebrate them that they are not forgotten. Just like they play Taps at sundown not for for the living that can salute the flag, but for those that can't. We celebrate that there are those that will risk everything, even for those that will not appreciate their sacrifice.

When we fail to remember and celebrate those lives, then their lives were truly given in vain.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,230 Posts
^^^ understood... I morn their death, I honor and resepect their life and death but for me to have lost so many is not a celebration

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We all celebrate memorial day in our own way. That's part of the freedoms that was fought for.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
507 Posts
We all celebrate memorial day in our own way. That's part of the freedoms that was fought for.
We do. And yes it was.
^^^ understood... I morn their death, I honor and resepect their life and death but for me to have lost so many is not a celebration
We don't celebrate their loss. We celebrate THEM. I grew up an Army brat during Vietnam. I knew too many that wound up on the wall. Some where my friends fathers. Pilots, Green Berets, Rangers and grunts.
They celebrated every chance they got. For anything. But mostly for us. Those they left. They celebrated they life and freedoms they wanted to leave us knowing that each day may be their last. In public, they celebrated. Tears for those lost and those they would leave behind were shed in private.
I morn them. They were good people. My tears though are private. For me and them alone. In public, I will celebrate them and cheer them as they did themselves.

·
Live Free
2,761 Posts
Reflecting on Memorial Day 2020, I will always remember my comrades in arms who gave all; those who thought more about others than themselves. And on this Memorial Day I am also rejoicing that doctors were able to locate and stop the internal bleeding that was threatening my beloved wife. So I will treasure Memorial Day in a different manner from this day forth; remembering fallen warriors and thanking God for saving my wife.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My patriarchs and or family members have been serving since at least the Civil War, and all the way through until today.

My namesake (middle name) went through the 'Battle of the Bulge' and was decorated multiple times for his service. Growing up, during Summer he and I would sometimes play a game or two of billiards at the bar he owned. My Grandad (his brother) would often advise, "He's your great uncle," and he would quip, "And a great uncle at that." (I know, I know, you had to be there...)

In my teens (early to mid 70's) I was pretty liberal and biased from the media, and although I must have been a pain in the *ss to be around, he never stopped listening to me or playing "our couple games of pool" whenever I visited during the Summer. He never would talk much about his experiences during WWII, but one day I pressed him, several different ways, about what it was like.

After first letting me say my peace, he said (as best I recall), "Well, people who want soldiers to stay home can be patriots just the same." I've never forgotten that and never will.

I remember all veterans each Memorial Day, but especially my great Uncle (WWII, iirc 4 years), my dad (Korea & Vietnam, 20+ years), and my oldest brother (Iraq 1, 20+ years).

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
507 Posts
Reflecting on Memorial Day 2020, I will always remember my comrades in arms who gave all; those who thought more about others than themselves. And on this Memorial Day I am also rejoicing that doctors were able to locate and stop the internal bleeding that was threatening my beloved wife. So I will treasure Memorial Day in a different manner from this day forth; remembering fallen warriors and thanking God for saving my wife.
That would be two very good reasons to remember. Hope the wife is ok.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not trying to make light of your situation but I worked with a guy that was bleeding out the wazoo. They put him in the hospital and they poked, prodded and scoped him from both ends and couldn't find where the bleeding was coming from. They started doing it again not believing they couldn't find the source of the bleeding. After a while he told them to just stop. Shortly after the bleeding mysteriously stopped. It was scary for him not knowing what was going on and I guess he was lucky. Glad to hear they fixed up your wife by the sounds of it.

Your comment about those that didn't make it back caring more about others than themselves is a common theme. I certainly can't speak for them or anyone else but I feel if they were asked most of them would say to celebrate, have a BBQ and throw one back for them. I can completely understand losing people that were very close to you. I have no problem with a quite solemn day to reflect on what was lost. We all handle things differently.

I don't want my kids to be conflicted or feel obligated to mourn for me so I gave them instructions on how I want them to handle my death. It involves visiting my grave if they want but I won't be there. A short visit then live life and enjoy the precious gift they are given that I won't be enjoying any more so do it for me. If I could look back from the great beyond it would bring me great joy to see them enjoying themselves instead of wasting time worrying about me.

·
Live Free
2,761 Posts
Not trying to make light of your situation but I worked with a guy that was bleeding out the wazoo. They put him in the hospital and they poked, prodded and scoped him from both ends and couldn't find where the bleeding was coming from. They started doing it again not believing they couldn't find the source of the bleeding. After a while he told them to just stop. Shortly after the bleeding mysteriously stopped. It was scary for him not knowing what was going on and I guess he was lucky. Glad to hear they fixed up your wife by the sounds of it.

Your comment about those that didn't make it back caring more about others than themselves is a common theme. I certainly can't speak for them or anyone else but I feel if they were asked most of them would say to celebrate, have a BBQ and throw one back for them. I can completely understand losing people that were very close to you. I have no problem with a quite solemn day to reflect on what was lost. We all handle things differently.

I don't want my kids to be conflicted or feel obligated to mourn for me so I gave them instructions on how I want them to handle my death. It involves visiting my grave if they want but I won't be there. A short visit then live life and enjoy the precious gift they are given that I won't be enjoying any more so do it for me. If I could look back from the great beyond it would bring me great joy to see them enjoying themselves instead of wasting time worrying about me.
I wish I had not spoken when I did, because she is bleeding again and has needed 8 units of blood in the last 48 hours. She is even now in radiology where they are trying to pinpoint the bleed and stop the flow. I know you did not feel you were making light of her situation, but it felt like it to me because it is my wife who is suffering. I am not offended at you, just tired, broken and praying for my beloved. And you had no idea of the turn of events. We all handle things differently and feel things differently. It is easy to be nonchalant when it is someone else’s wife or family, because it doesn’t mean as much to someone who is not emotionally connected. Anyway, my bad for bringing it up In this thread. Did not want to take the thread another direction, I was simply grateful for the good report, but all that has changed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts