National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jesus Saves
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the first time ever, I decided to call my 11 y/o grandson and ask him if he wanted to go to the range with me. Of course, the answer was yes. Since this was a last minute thought so I had to get stuff ready because I have most everything locked up in differently places. After 30 minutes he called me and asked where I was! ;-) I pickup up and got him.

We went to a local indoor place that I have been to maybe 1/2 dozen times, usually on the lunch time special, but here it is Sunday late afternoon about an hour before they close. We checked in and the fun started. I brought Mark II, Mark III, LCR22 and my LCPII. It filled an hour just fine. I repeatedly revised the safety aspects throughout the 75 minute fun. He liked the Mark II the best and did daily well when he wanted to.

What was probably equally fun was the full auto a guy had 2 stalls down; along with the .50 calibers that were going off - NOISY NOISY Machine GUN followed by sonic booms! MY grandson was getting all caught top in the rat-tat-tat of the machine gun and began to rapid fide the little Mark II....that in itself fun.

We did walk down to watch the full auto followed by the 50 caliber followed by the shotgun; back to full auto.... Then we slowly walked back to our lane with out little 22lr's that sounded like a cap gun and best.

He (we) had a blast. The added excitement of the full auto made it a bit extra special for him.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
He’s getting a good start from the best coach he could ever hope to have. Don’t knock the fun of the cap gun .22. I love .22’s and even though I have a least one in every action, I’m always looking for another one. I keep a large inventory of ammo so when I want to go I don’t have to stop and buy ammo. Take him to an outdoor range with a rifle and hit some cans.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
Spend as much time with him as you can, because one day ............................................. he will discover .................. girls.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Nice quality time out for the 2 of you. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hey they wont "KNOW" unless WE take the time to teach them. Congrats and Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I am waiting on my first grandchild right now. In May I’ll have to buy Him or Her ( we don’t know what it is yet and that’s the way it’s supposed to be.) a gun from me.
I keep trying to buy my Son in Law a OU 20 gauge because he loves going sporting clays shooting but they ( daughters ) won’t let me. Lol.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Make sure to teach that boy to find a girl that likes guns! Seriously though, grandfathers are the best teachers. Sometimes its hard on dads because the same level of focus isn't there (not that they are disrespectful, but its different). Kids seem more focused when its grandpa. My father-in-law takes the boys out with the .22's. He's done a damn good job teaching the boys to shoot with iron sights. I have more exotic guns they shoot. Overall, it makes them well rounded shooters. Glad you guys had fun.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Out of my 4 handguns, my .22 gets used the most at my gun club. The best way to loose a new shooter is to hand them a magnum. Even being next to someone using one is not ideal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts