National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Maintenance man
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people, I just bought a Marlin 22( unsure of model but it may be some youth 795) I got it for my daughter and it's an older rifle, the only stamp it has is 700. I took it out for a test drive after a good look through. The only issue is the blot doesn't lock after the last round is fired and I almost always hear a dry fire after a mag is spent. I know dry fire is a bad word when talking about 22lr or any run fire. I'm not sure what the problem could be so I'm asking yall. Like I said, it's an older rifle and it didn't look like it had been cleaned in a LONG time but we'll used. My daughter loves to shoot it too. It's a fun little fun but would to see her 100% her former glory. Any ideas? Thanks.

· Registered
17,527 Posts
Many semi .22's don't have bolt hold opens. I always thought it was strange for guns you really shouldn't dry fire. It's probably a cost thing to keep the price lower having less part(s) for the hold open. I think some like the Ruger 10-22 have a stop so the firing pin wont actually hit the chamber edge too.

Reactions: Popeye

· Live Free
4,510 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as square target, because I have seen several semi-auto .22’s that did not have that feature. I had a Marlin 60 some years back and it did not have that function. However, I believe some of the 795’s did have a bolt hold open after last shot, but it was problematic too. It sounds like you already cleaned it good, but that could be a problem if it is gummed up from dirty .22’s being shot for years without a good cleaning. Shove an empty mag in and pull the bolt back and give a look, if possible, to see if the follower is engaging...if there is a bolt hold open.

Oh yeah, that old model 60 with a tube feed almost always got dry fired after the mag was empty because the number of rounds were not being counted as I shot. Never hurt the gun at all. :smile5:

· Maintenance man
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It never crossed my mind that the bolt wouldn't lock open after the last shot. Good stuff, and I did look to see if the follower would catch but there is nothing for it to catch on. Maybe that's just the way it is. Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned, but the firing pins look inexpensive so if something happens I'll get her swapped out.

· Registered
17,527 Posts
It never crossed my mind that the bolt wouldn't lock open after the last shot. Good stuff, and I did look to see if the follower would catch but there is nothing for it to catch on. Maybe that's just the way it is. Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned, but the firing pins look inexpensive so if something happens I'll get her swapped out.

What i do, which i hate and sometimes forget is to count your shots.

Reactions: AgedWarrior
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.