National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since Ruger purchased Marlin in 2020 and started cranking out 1895s near the end of 2021, I've been on the search for a "decent" deal on an 1895 SBL. I can't begin to remember how many websites I searched or how many auctions I dabbled in for the last year or so. With very limited supply and unprecedented demand, I've seen them sell for upwards of a grand or more over MSRP. While the rifle has been on my bucket list for years, there was no way in heck I'd shell out those kind of dollars and had resigned myself to just being patient until the prices came down substantially.

Fast forward to last week on Friday the 13th. I had jumped in on a few Gunbroker auctions that looked good initially, but as always the closer the bid deadline came the more pricing went berzerk. Just as I was about to log off the site, I figured I'd check and see what the current "buy now" pricing looked like. Much to my surprise, I found one for a couple hundred over MRSP, no credit card fee and $25 second day air shipping. After checking the seller reviews (which were excellent), I pulled the trigger on the transaction and danced a little jig of joy. When it came time to transfer the funds, I was tickled pink to find the seller also offered an additional 5% off for first time customers. The rifle ended up shipping by the end of the same day and would have delivered to my FFL on Monday if they would have been open. To make a long story short, I took the afternoon off from work Friday and picked it up.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Tints and shades

Trigger Grey Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bicycle part Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger

Hood Office supplies Writing implement Grille Line

Hood Automotive tire Grille Wood Grey

Air gun Automotive design Automotive tire Trigger Camera accessory

Gadget Grey Communication Device Grass Plant

I had planned to get it out the range this weekend, but things came up so it's looking like next weekend will be the maiden voyage.

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful rifle!!!
Nice! My Marlin 1895 45-70 was one of my favorite guns. Very strong action.
Thanks, gents. My bride even gave her stamp of approval, although she also mentioned needing me to clear out some of my side of the closet to make room for incoming clothes and shoes to settle the score... 😉

· Premium Member
3,038 Posts
wow… looks great… as said, a beautiful rifle!

Would look great with a saddle ring and riding atop a palomino :)

something tells me the large decelerator pad will also come in handy in that caliber

Reactions: GRBOU812

· AZHerper
6,333 Posts
wow… looks great… as said, a beautiful rifle!

Would look great with a saddle ring and riding atop a palomino :)

something tells me the large decelerator pad will also come in handy in that caliber
Yep! I put a Pachmayr Decelerator on mine however, some of my stout loads were over 1,900 FPS with a 400 grain bullet (over 3,000 ft-lbs muzzle energy),

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve honestly never pulled the trigger on a 45-70 round so the recoil will be interesting to experience. I did spend quite a bit of time goose hunting back in the day shooting T and F loads of 12 ga 3.5” magnums so I’m curious how it will compare.

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice rifle! I recently bought a Henry 45-70. With a brass butt plate, recoil is…interesting.:unsure: Shooting it from a bench was not the greatest idea.
Congrats on your Henry! My SIL’s BIL has one in 45-70 as well and loves it… I’ve handled but not fired it and it’s a beautiful rifle.

I appreciate the heads up on the bench shooting and will definitely proceed with caution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts